The Ohio Pen Show: November 3-5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Actually the official opening date of the Show is November 2 However, that is strictly a trading day. Vendors are not set up until about noon on Friday the 3rd and some of them aren't completely finished by then.

If you have an interest in pens and are within driving distance of Dublin, Ohio (on the north side of Columbus) you owe it to yourself to make the trip to The Ohio Pen Show. Here is the show's website:

THE OHIO PEN SHOW

There is an admission fee and it must be on the website somewhere, but I can't find it.

The show consists of two fairly large rooms filled with tables full of all things handwriting. You will find pens and pencils from the 19th century up through the latest offerings from Parker, Aurora, Montgrappa, Pelikan, and just about every brand you can name along with papers, inks, refills, inkwells; history books, repair books, pen repair tools. How about calligraphy seminars, pen repair seminars, nib tuning seminars? The list goes on and on.

The thing about it is, it can be just a visual feast. The vendors, particularly the vintage pen people like to talk about their stuff if you show some interest.

For sure, the emphasis here is going to be on fountain pens. The majority of vendors will be selling vintage pens. However, there will be major pen dealers and manufacturers.

To drop some names of vendors that either will be there, or have been in recent years whose names should be familiar to some or most of you:

Brian Gray: Edison Pens and Meisternibs
Richard Greenwald: Pens, Pen Parts, Nibs, Flexigran Blanks
Richard Binder: Nibmeister
Mike and Linda Kennedy: Indy-Pen-Dance, Pen repair, Nib customization
Richard Kleinhenz: Author of "The Pen Turner's Bible"

In addition There are usually a couple of pen makers who do absolutely incredible work. Ryan Krusac (Beautiful handmade fountain pens; Luxurious handmade rollerball pens) makes absolutely stunning pens in wood and other materials in both component and kitless form. He will be at this years show. Generally there are one or two others.

I will be arriving Thursday evening and staying until around noon Sunday. If anybody wants to meetup, drop me a PM and I'll send you my cell number.

I love this thing and fortunately my wife loves me enough to put up with it. (Although she usually walks away with a pretty nice pen or two herself.

Hope some of you can make it.

Bill

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker56

Hopefully, my tables will be in the same spot as in the past years, right outside the doorway to the main room, across from Brian Gray's Edison Pens. Please stop on by, introduce yourself and say hello. We will have our complete line of refills, parts, and blanks.

stuckinohio

Hopefully, my tables will be in the same spot as in the past years, right outside the doorway to the main room, across from Brian Gray's Edison Pens. Please stop on by, introduce yourself and say hello. We will have our complete line of refills, parts, and blanks.

Good to hear since I need some Chrome Schmidt click mechanisms:biggrin:

thewishman

It's a fun show, I highly recommend going if you can. I've been to all but one since 2008.

Richard stocks so many colors and styles of Schmidt refills - big selection of rollerball refill colors. It is hard to resist his blanks, too, so I usually don't.

bmachin

For those of you who might have been looking for a "date" with me per my offer in the original post, I'm afraid I'm going to have to stand you up. Between a sudden onset of a case of vertigo for me and a pre surgery cold on my wife's part it was necessary to cancel the trip.

Sorry Richard; I was really looking forward to spending some serious money with you. Guess I'll have to do it online.

Lewis; John Albert has moved to my home town and I had asked him if there was anything that he needed. He said to say hello to you, so "Hello" from John.

As for the rest of you, I'm hopeful for next year.

Enjoy the show. I'm jealous.

As to the rest of you guys, I was really looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year.

Bill

stuckinohio

Bill. Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it! And I'm jealous that you live close to John now!

Last edited:

stuckinohio

Well, I finally made it through the pen show. Wow. There is lots to see!

Spent some money at Richard Greenwalds table. He has some Schaeffer blue Cebloplast that is beautiful for $25 a rod. I couldn't help but buy 4:biggrin:

Attachments

• 20171104_132756.jpg
    20171104_132756.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 156

stuckinohio

Did anyone else end up going? I looked for Mark, Mike, Chris and Tom but there are soooooo many people there it seemed impossible to find anyone!

I was most impressed with a custom pen maker named Ryan Krusac. He is not a member of the IAP, but wow, he does beautiful work! Some totally different stuff. He gets pen kits from Dayacom unplated and applies his own platings and treatments. Very beautiful. He does very nice kitless wood pens with an impeccable fit and finish. He also does Scrimshaw apparently.

Beautiful handmade fountain pens; Luxurious handmade rollerball pens

I did fall in love with a few pens too. My wife loves a Montblanc Greta Garbo Diva series pen, so I am going to try to mimic the shape, which was elegant. I fell in love with a Montblanc Skywalker Urban Speed ballpoint. Super cool flat black finish, interesting shape, red line on the clip and neat finial.

And we both loved the Pilot Vanishing Point!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You guys certainly missed a really good show.

My main need was some of Richard's components, but I'll order them anyway. And to just to look at all the eye candy, which I would have enjoyed.

But, I may have timed the last good weather day for my yardwork. One more day late this week would be great, but did get a lot done yesterday.

thewishman

I've been a fan of Ryan for several years - he does beautiful work. I ended up babysitting a grandchild and not making the show.

One of my challenges at the show is that so many beautiful materials are available and I somehow do not manage to say no to all of them. I have more blanks than I do opportunities to make them into pens.

stuckinohio

Chris,

I didn't notice anyone with materials for sale (except for paper, ink and assorted parts) except for Richard Greenwald. Good thing I guess because I bought lots of stuff from Richard!

Does Dale Penkala use your sparkler blanks for his pens? He wasn't around at his booth when I was there, but he had several pens that looked fantastic and they seemed to be your sparkler blanks.

socdad

I went on Sunday, arrived at 10:15 or so. Bought several items from Richard and enjoyed looking at the watch parts by Dale. Sadly many tables were empty & several vendors were packing up by 11:00. More fountain pens than I could count!

thewishman

Chris,

I didn't notice anyone with materials for sale (except for paper, ink and assorted parts) except for Richard Greenwald. Good thing I guess because I bought lots of stuff from Richard!

Does Dale Penkala use your sparkler blanks for his pens? He wasn't around at his booth when I was there, but he had several pens that looked fantastic and they seemed to be your sparkler blanks.

Dale makes his own, thanks for the compliment!

Some of the guys selling their kit pens also sell blanks - sometimes really nice ones - but you may need to ask.

Top Bottom