off topic/bowl finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

saltwein

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Behlen Salad Bowl Finish?
I have been using it to finish a couple of bowls that I turned and have become concerned over the dire warnings on the label. I have been wearing a charcoal filter respirator while I apply the finish and have a window open with ventilation (basement shop/laundry room), I usually leave the window open with a fan for an hour after applying and wiping off finish. I haven't experienced any adverse affects but the odor lingers for as much as a couple days. How does this protocol sound?

Regards, Steve

TomServo

I'm not sure what's in it - but keep in mind that just about anything you can finish wood with is considered "usda approved" - so if you feel uncomfortable with what you're using, switch to something you are comfortable with! BLO is a good salad bowl finish, but may require re-application every few uses (which, fortunately, is easy)... and flax (aka linseed) oil is very healthy stuff

Enough of my bare wood propoganda :) from what I've read (here and other places), as long as you let it cure until there's no smell, it's safe to serve food out of/off of. I imagine enduro would make a great finish for bowls.

Otherwise, your protocol sounds fine to me - what temperature is your shop? If the label says there's turpentine or MEK involved, I would ditch the stuff. Some of the chemicals in finishes are just too dangerous to your health, long term. I'd be concerned about vapors penetrating to the rest of the house - the carbon filter on your respirator should protect you, but it won't do anyone else much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom