oak plywood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Well, I'm at a loss. I checked hartville lumber for 3/4" oak plywood and they have some 7-ply that looks a lot like what lowes sells. The depot stuff says on their website that the veneer is 1/42" thick.:eek: Are you kidding me? If I even get sandpaper close to it it will sand through!:rolleyes:
I did not ask at hartville what the veneer thickness is and I'll call them Friday and ask. If it is no thicker than the box stores then $30 more per sheet is too much of a difference.
Anyone have experience with any of them and would share stories?
This will be used on the inside of the drawers and shelves for an entertainment center. The outside frame and top will be solid oak with oak veneer drawer fronts and end panels.

Thanks

Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I don't do a lot of furniture, but I usually just use poplar, maple or white oak for my drawer boxes (ply for shop drawers at times). For me, solid woods on a project with not too many drawers probably is not going to add enough in lumber costs to be worth the hassle of thin veneer and having to edge somehow. And--soft maple or white oak is not nearly as prone to denting as plywood. Not to mention that there are rarely voids that show up unexpectedly in solid wood.

Just my take after trying plywood drawer boxes a few times. Folks with better skills may find it to be less taxing than I do!!
earl

RKB

I have used some oak veneer plywood for some bookshelves and sand through was a problem mostly near the edges. I stopped using the power sander and lightly hand sanded with fresh sandpaper and a wood block. I had to be careful of the veneer splinters on the edges too. I would suggest buying a sharp new saw blade that is made for cutting this type of plywood. Good luck with your project.

Rod

Oldfolks

Have you tried Baltic Birch? For drawer boxes it works great, has a tight ply and finishes well. Definitely cheaper than Oak. Takes stain well.
This is just MHO.
Jerry

Dale Allen

Jerry, I have one sheet of 1//2" BB ply to use for the drawers. I will also use that with an oak veneer to use on the exposed panels so it matches the solid oak wood.
I have done dovetails with baltic birch. However, I had a problem with some from hartville as they mixed their stock at some point and there was some 7 ply and 9 ply in my stash. I didn't know it until the dovetail setup would not mate because it was a few thousandths different in thickness.

Dale Allen

Well Jerry, you got me thinking of the BB ply all day so I decided to modify the plans and use baltic birch in place of the oak plywood. I think I can get the stain color to come close and since it will all be on inside areas it should be fine.
So, I get the benefit of a better plywood with a thicker veneer.
Thanks all.

Top Bottom