Now that is an expensive pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

That is a rip off. Production line made. Doesn't look any better than the pens made by the members here.
I bet they will not sell many.
Turncrazy43

dogcatcher

That is a rip off. Production line made. Doesn't look any better than the pens made by the members here.
I bet they will not sell many.
Turncrazy43

They will sell, simply because is the classic Cross pen, and it is gold plated. I was surprised a few years ago to learn that people still gave Cross pens as graduation gifts and to commemorate other special occasions. I have several that I have received as gifts, one is over 50 years old, some of the others over 40. I only use them on special occasions, like signing retirement papers, or like the last check when our home was paid off.

I have a sterling cross pen laying around somewhere... it was given to me by one of my bosses when they were celebrating 25 years in business... I never liked it.. it was too slick to write with comfortably...

Dehn0045

I'd go for the $40 chrome one and a few ounces of gold instead... not sure how much gold is in the pen, but it might not be that bad of a deal... but is probably a horrible deal...

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Guys, the gold in THAT particular model is not plated as in gold filled/rolled like the plating on the components that we use in our pens.

I have (had) the 14K gold with "The Lord's Prayer" inscribed around it. I had it for about 30 years and took good care of it even though I used it regularly. Several weeks ago, a young pastor noticed something strange about it and then I showed him the Lord's Prayer inscription. He was awed by it. Last month I gave it to him.

Cross stopped making (inscribing) those pens in the late 80's or early 90's. I bought 3 (14k plated, inscribed) in the mid- 80s for gifts to pastor friends at about $60.00 each. I called Cross direct and ordered those; had a great conversation with a lady that was fully aware of the history and vision of Cross. Lots of people don't like the slim or the small diameter refill, but that does not make them an un-reputable company, nor make the pen an lower class pen.

I make my own pens as each of you do, but I enjoyed my Cross pen for many years. I had a sterling silver one in the 70's and lost it sometimes in the 80's. It was probably just perception, but it had a great feel to it. To me Sterling Silver and real gold (thicker layers of gold) have a unique feel to them.

My high school physics teacher (now in his 90's) likes the looks of the pens I make, but he enjoys writing with very slim pens such as the Cross.

To each his own.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

It is all in the marketing and brand image. I recently saw an article by a fashion designer. He was talking about expensive designer jeans. Depending on the name associated with the jean some can cost up to $2,000.00. He said there is basically no difference between those and popular brand jeans in the $20.00 range. The expensive ones are for people (mostly spoiled rich brats) who have more money than common sense. In this avocation (pens), high dollar pens might be bought by people who just want to show they can do afford it.

Woodchipper

I saw one of the tabloids at the grocery store. Talked about celebrity kids and their clothes- Gucci shoes but can't remember the cost. One kid had a clothing budget of $1,000,000. Why doesn't that kid help me and pay off my house and car? Ah, mesuggah!

Top Bottom