Not a pen, but Holy Smokes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

20051215233159_knife1.jpg

I was looking into stainless Damascus steel for use in pens, and look what's being done with the stuff. That's some awesome workmanship, even if it's not a pen. I figured some of us guys that make stuff with their hands would get a kick out of it even though it's a knife. That's how a few of the high end pen makers got their start. It's easy to see why.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

It looks to be around $9 per inch for 5/8" stock. That's expensive, but not that bad for what it is. It's tons less expensive than mokume, which is around $350 for an inch of 1/4" x 1/4" block that still needs to be worked to get the pattern. I'm about to get a 100 ton press to see if I can experiment with that stuff.

btboone

Billy, check out the link to the damascus people. They have a lot of examples from that guy and more. Some of them are simply awesome. http://www.ssdamascus.com/Gallery.html

Frank, here's the inside scoop on mokume: http://www.mickyroof.com/creating-mokume1.shtml

It's different metals that are "diffusion bonded" together. They are cleaned, squeezed together in a stack, and heated to just below the melting point. The atoms are moving so hard, and the metals are so tightly in contact with each other that the metals actually bond. It's a very cool process. I'll be getting a kiln here soon to try it on my own. I've been doing a lot of research on it. The temperatures need to be exact, the metals need to be perfectly clean, They need lots of pressure squeezing them together, and they need to be heated in an atmosphere without oxygen.

btboone

Hi Jerry,
Yes, I have seen Timascus. It's two different alloys of ti mixed like this. They andodize at slightly different rates, so you can get nice color differences.

I just came up with a way of doing something similar, but with only a single alloy of titanium. I can selectively harden the metal and eat away the softer untreated metal, giving a 3D mokume type pattern. It looks possible to use it on pens. I now need to come up with a cool name for the process and do more experimenting.

Jerry Adams

Bruce,
Would you ever consider sharing the process? I, as well as a couple of friends in my knife club would be very interested. We tried to make our own Ti damascus a few times, all failures. The last time we achieved similar results to the inventors and nearly burned down the shop, molten Ti is scary stuff.

btboone

Jerry, I need to do a bit of research to see where the boundarys are. I may try to patent the process if I think it's patentable. I've tried it on tungsten and aluminum without success. That makes sense from the hardening aspect, which I had to verify. I haven't tried stainless yet, which I think should work. I'll need to keep the process secret at least for a while. It looks like it should have pretty good potential.

Titanium can indeed be pretty scary if it lights. It's like magnesium in the way it burns. I would say to try that only in a full argon shield if you try that again. Titanium readily absorbs oxygen at higher temperatures. Once the oxides form, nothing sticks together. I've seen titanium mokume made by a hydraulic press with an argon shield and kiln attached in a book by Ian Ferguson called Mokume Gane. By using heat and extreme pressure, they are able to get metals that don't usually go together like copper and monel, mixed aluminum alloys, iron and stainless steel, copper and titanium, and copper and iron being fused together. Stainless or titanium damascus is pretty similar in concept. If you are trying stuff like that, you should get the book.

Jerry Adams

Bruce, No problem, I fully understand and respect your need for secrecy. But I had to ask,, hehe. I'm done with trying to forge Ti, we stick to carbon steel damascus now. Much easier and safer for us .

btboone

Jerry, I just looked up the Timascus patent. It's a pretty powerful patent. It's number 6,857,558 on www.uspto.gov. Although it seems obvious to someone in the field, they somehow got the patent.

Doghouse

one day I dream of affording something like that. My real dream is for a santoku out of it. (I know I will never find something like that in my lifetime. Hey if you know who would trade for a bowl...

btboone

What intrigues me is some of these knives are very "reasonably" priced. Some are in the $500 range. It looks like they must work for about $1.10 an hour to sell them for that.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by btboone
<br />What intrigues me is some of these knives are very "reasonably" priced. Some are in the $500 range. It looks like they must work for about $1.10 an hour to sell them for that.

That sounds cheaper than cheap. Arkansas has many famous knife makers. Many of the masters sell their knives, not always Damascus, in the thousands. Good luck with your venture. Fascinating stuff and beautiful.

mick

Originally posted by angboy
<br />I can just see all of the boys drooling! [:p][:p] It's pretty, but you must have to have a load of testosterone to really appreciate it! [:D]

[:)][:)][:)] And your point?......lol [:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom