Not even Christmas yet! Tank, Skew and wax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

24618cfb5aceb0e396fa64928c31d6fd.jpg

5gal pot, Magic Skew and trade secret wax all arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice pressure pot. I want to step up to something like that because quite honestly, my HF scares the crap outta me. I don't want to be anywhere near it when it's pressurized. I connect the hose to the valve then walk across the garage and connect the other end to the compressor because I just don't trust it. It's on the other side of my table saw so if it blows I have a good chunk of metal between me and any debris. Overkill? Maybe, but maybe not.

Congrats on a very nice early Christmas score.

MRDucks2

Nice pressure pot. I want to step up to something like that because quite honestly, my HF scares the crap outta me. I don't want to be anywhere near it when it's pressurized. I connect the hose to the valve then walk across the garage and connect the other end to the compressor because I just don't trust it. It's on the other side of my table saw so if it blows I have a good chunk of metal between me and any debris. Overkill? Maybe, but maybe not.

Congrats on a very nice early Christmas score.

That one is (obviously) the California Air Tools 5 gallon. One of the keys I was looking for was interior room for non-blank related ideas we have for the resin. The tank is actually nicer than I expected. At around $200 it is technically twice the price of the HF but far more than twice the tank. The lid clamp design is much better.

MRDucks2

Jay, take a closer look at the clamps for the lid on this pot. Should made you feel better. Out of the box I began to run it up and it popped of at 45psi. Adjusted the safety valve as I continued to run it up. Lid says maximum working pressure 90psi. At 90psi the seal began to leak a little. My compressor gauges both read 105. I set the relief for 85psi, the pot regulator for 80 psi and it only lost a little over 1 lb in an hour at 80 psi. I then removed the paint tube and agitator, added a filter/water separator. Will get a 5/8 bolt tomorrow to plug the agitator hole, tighten fittings and see how it does.
c4e3d97a20ff3c02a53fe2634aed3c8e.jpg
08b1eb514b02b9139b874124170ecd36.jpg

I thought it was a California Air Tools but I was too lazy to look it up. The clamps were exactly what I was looking at, those alone make it worth the step up in price from the HF. Any hiccups converting it for casting or is at easy as the HF?

MRDucks2

5/8 x 3.5 galvanized bolt, two rubber washers, two flat washers and self locking nylon insert nut plugged the hole from the mixer fine. I left the two O-rings in from the shaft and it felt like they were snug enough they may have sealed against the bolt shank, but went ahead and used the rubber washers, too. Had to do some repairs to my old water separator, as it was leaking as well as a 90 into the manifold.

Ran it up to 80lbs, closed everything off and let it sit. 5.5 hours later it was at 78.5 lbs so pretty happy.

If you buy or have a 5/8 bolt, nut and the washers you could easily do the conversion in 5 minutes.

Top Bottom