Not Dreading Winter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

My "shop" is about half of a 3 stall garage, no heat or AC. Been doing some form of woodworking for the past several years, but by this time of year the evenings & mornings are too cool to glue or finish anything except on Saturdays--if it's warm. From November through at least late March--no woodworking.

So...last spring I started turning, mostly pens to this point. I spent about 6 hours yesterday moving my turning station from the detached garage to the basement. Tired and sore--but will be able to turn all winter long!! Band and table saws are still in the garage, but those are short term visits. Oh, and my facing is done on either drill press or disc sander--but again, short stints at 15 Fahrenheit is not so bad!!

Thanks to all of you for education and encouragement--not dreading this winter!!

earl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

I'm in the same neck of the woods as you and it can indeed get quite cold here in Indiana. I have a very small shop and in the winter I will use a small space heater and get the shop up to temperature for the weekends and work in there but then shut it down through the week. I thought global warming was going to solve this for us but NOOOOOOOO.

Herb G

About every 4-5 years here in Southern Maryland, we get a decent snowstorm. Now, a decent snowstorm here is anywhere from 3 to 5 FEET.
Usually in 2 or 3 days time. It hits fast & hard.
5-6 years ago, my wife & I took 10 days to dig out from the last big storm we got. 66" in 3 days.
After just about killing ourselves, we decided to buy a new snowblower.
We bought a brand new Ariens.

It is a monster. No more back breaking shoveling snow for us.
I'm too old & out of shape for that mess.
I no longer dread winter either.
:wink:

greenacres2

Snow can be an issue for us--we're about 12 miles southeast of the Lake Michigan shore, the lake-effect snows are not like Buffalo, but 5" to 12" is not unusual. Probably average 72" per winter and have seen over 100" in a season. Tbfoto is about 80 miles south, and likely gets half as much snow in a season (though they do get some ice storms down that way--i'll keep the snow!!)
earl

wouldentu2?

My "shop" is about half of a 3 stall garage, no heat or AC. Been doing some form of woodworking for the past several years, but by this time of year the evenings & mornings are too cool to glue or finish anything except on Saturdays--if it's warm. From November through at least late March--no woodworking.

So...last spring I started turning, mostly pens to this point. I spent about 6 hours yesterday moving my turning station from the detached garage to the basement. Tired and sore--but will be able to turn all winter long!! Band and table saws are still in the garage, but those are short term visits. Oh, and my facing is done on either drill press or disc sander--but again, short stints at 15 Fahrenheit is not so bad!!

Thanks to all of you for education and encouragement--not dreading this winter!!

earl
I also moved mine downstairs and find it worked great. not much mess and I can run down to put some coats on anytime. I also use three mandrels so I can be doing multiple pens.

wouldentu2?

About every 4-5 years here in Southern Maryland, we get a decent snowstorm. Now, a decent snowstorm here is anywhere from 3 to 5 FEET.
Usually in 2 or 3 days time. It hits fast & hard.
5-6 years ago, my wife & I took 10 days to dig out from the last big storm we got. 66" in 3 days.
After just about killing ourselves, we decided to buy a new snowblower.
We bought a brand new Ariens.

It is a monster. No more back breaking shoveling snow for us.
I'm too old & out of shape for that mess.
I no longer dread winter either.
:wink:

I live in Wisconsin and find not having a snowblower is like having a lawn and a push reel mower.

Top Bottom