Non stick bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terry q

I bought a couple sets of commercial bushings and over several months lost them up the dust collector or in the noodles on the floor. Then I realized I had a block of PTFE and wondered if I could make some. They aren't pretty but they work just fine.

Attachments

• 14298126589311.jpg
    14298126589311.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edward Cypher

I've been making my own also!! Much cheaper, I go to Plasticare and buy the cutoff pieces of 5/8 and 3/4 inch rods for $1.50 to $3.00 a pound that makes a lot of these bushings.

TonyL

I just watched a YouTube video on how to do this (yes, I had to see it on YouTube :) , and I ordered 2 feet of 3/4 inch HDEP rod from Amazon for under $10 shipped. I don't know if that's good, but that is what the guy used. It should arrive tomorrow. I also bought 12 from Woodturningz - just in case.

chartle

I just watched a YouTube video on how to do this (yes, I had to see it on YouTube :) , and I ordered 2 feet of 3/4 inch HDEP rod from Amazon for under $10 shipped. I don't know if that's good, but that is what the guy used. It should arrive tomorrow. I also bought 12 from Woodturningz - just in case.

If you are talking about this one I've had a long conversation with the poster. I was the one that ordered the UHMW plastic rod from Amazon and tried it out. I think based on what I saw and read this plastic is firmer that the HDEP. Also its a third the price.

I didn't turn it like on the video. I used my skew like if I was using a metal lathe. I put it flat on the tool rest and used the point pushing it in to the plastic. Instead of making shavings it made like little potato chips, one per pass.

I don't think these are going to wear out. I may make custom ones for certain kits I may do a lot of. I need to make them so the CA stays off the ends. I've seen it build up and when you take your blank off you have to clean up the ends.

Just don't do what I did and used a knife. It chipped the end of the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSXlS89qmCM

chartle

Yes...that is the one and the mail truck just arrived! Thanks for the advice!

don't forget 1/4" hole not 7 mm as per the video.

I used my mandrel bushings at first but then removed them so I could get right down to a point. With a 1/4" hole they really hold on so you can maybe cut the last little bit without any pressure on them.

I also made just 3, one was double pointed on each end for the middle one. One less thing to lose in the shavings.

Last edited:

chartle

Well I lost one so has to make another. My turning skills have improved since I made the first set. New one on the left.

Also while I was at it made a custom set for a Euro pen lot I like. They should keep the ca from building up on the ends.

Attachments

• 0425151309~2.jpg
    0425151309~2.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 0425151402~2.jpg
    0425151402~2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom