Noise canceling headphones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

Has anyone messed with noise canceling headphones? I don’t what to spend the $300 for Bose but I have found a few that are under $100. So anyone try them? The loudest thing I want to use them with is a shopvac.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scottydont

Originally posted by rtparso
<br />Has anyone messed with noise canceling headphones? I don’t what to spend the $300 for Bose but I have found a few that are under $100. So anyone try them? The loudest thing I want to use them with is a shopvac.

I bought the Bose QCII's but returned them. They are better than any others that I tried but not $300 worth of Wow IMHO. I have tried several others and none have met my price/value expectations. I travel for business so they would come in handy. My wife thinks I have built in noise cancellation technology so why would I need these? [:eek:)]

I am curiuos to see what others post up with here.

Now if you want to have a noise reduction mic/headset that you can talk on your cell while at a NASCAR race, try http://www.theboom.com/theboomquiet.html $250 smackers.

I, too have been considering buying some noise cancelling headphones but have been hesitant to buy the Bose headphones at thhose prices. I'd really like to hear (no pun intended) what some of you would recommend.

Bill

Ron Mc

I found some headphones at the Orange Box store that do a very good job. Almost too good. I believe I spent about $40.00 on them.

ldimick

I have used the Bose and I have used some that were about $39 from Best Buy. I did not notice any signifigant difference. I also bought some other brand of ear buds that were about $150 and I was disappointed.

To me the major difference is the way that the batteries are mounted. My Sennheiser are kind of a pain because the battery case is about 1/2 way to the headphone from the plug. Which effectively shortens the cord.

Chuck Key

Some of the people on one of the woodworking groups were talking about wiring the ear buds for the Ipod through a regular set of hearing protectors. Been wanting to try that. Could probably get away with wearing the ear buds with the headset place over them and the Ipod cliped to your belt at the back. Any of the pen suppliers sell Itunes?[8D]

Chuckie

woodwish

My daughters bought me a set of wireless headphones that I plug into my stereo. They fit pretty tight so they do a good job of blocking out the drone of the DC and lathe moter. I can still hear the phone usually and other loud noises over the music in the 'phones. They have rechargable battteries in them and charge while it sits on the holder, last about 6 hours in constant use. I wear them most of the time out there, but if I am planning or using the router table (both of which are VERY loud) I will put in some of those foam ear plugs with the headphones over them.

I know my parents said that our generation would go deaf from listening to rock 'n roll but most of us survived. But as a high school teacher I really do worry about kids today going deaf from those @#%#* Ipods all the time. Of course we do not allow them during class but I see kids going down the hall with their eyes bulging in and out with the beats of the rap crap they listen to. Those ear buds are much worse on the ears than headphones for a variety of reasons. We've been through baby boomers, gen-X, gen-Y, and now we have the "huh?" generation.

Off my soapbox, back to the shop to listen to some great classic rock 'n roll.

What noise are you trying to cancel?

When I'm turning I can hear a problem with the wood before the problem surfaces. Most times I still have enough wood left to make a fix.

dfurlano

I have the Bose and I use them on planes and when I'm on the rider mowing the lawn. They are expensive and I not sure I would buy any more Bose products. I personally think they are over hyped.

rtparso

I found some headphones at the Orange Box store that do a very good job. Almost too good. I believe I spent about $40.00 on them.
Ron Mc what brand?

Ron in Drums PA
Not to be a wise guy but the load ones. If I put on the ear muffs I can't hear anything so I have to take them off and on. With the noise canceling I should be able to still hear some of the quieter noises and block out the shopvac in this case.

woodwish
I understand several brands have closed head phones but as I said above I want something that wil allow me to hear the low level backgound noise. BTW is'nt it interesting that each generation hates the next gen music.

Originally posted by rtparso

Ron in Drums PA
Not to be a wise guy but the load ones. If I put on the ear muffs I can't hear anything so I have to take them off and on. With the noise canceling I should be able to still hear some of the quieter noises and block out the shopvac in this case.

Ok that makes sense with the shop vac.
I have my DC piped in from another room, so my shop is quiet when I'm running the lathe.

When I'm using my planer I use a pair of ear muffs that I bought at a sporting goods store. They are the type used for indoor target practice.

Texas Taco

Neighbor across the street wears his while mowing or doing other yard work. Don't know the brand but I had the chance to try them and they are nice. Now I need to get him some singing lessons since when ever they are on his head he thinks he can sing..............[:eek:)]

Well, he can't hear himself. The headphones cancel him out. :)

Maybe his wife was confused about how the headphones work. Since they are noise cancelling, she thought that if she bought them and he wore them, they would cancel his singing out.[^]

Bill

Texas Taco

Originally posted by BillATsetelDOTcom
<br />Well, he can't hear himself. The headphones cancel him out. :)

Maybe his wife was confused about how the headphones work. Since they are noise cancelling, she thought that if she bought them and he wore them, they would cancel his singing out.[^]

Bill

She is usually at work when he is mowing. Maybe that was the plan, have him do it while she is at work so I can enjoy [xx(] the concert.

Ron Mc

Ron, Sorry it took so long to answer! Didn't hear you.[;)]
I believe they are called "safety Works". There green in color and are very comfortable. Hop this helps.

Rifleman1776

Also check out your gun shop and hunting supply stores. The Wolf Ear brand of headsets and earpieces are excellent. They amplify small sounds but shut out loud stuff. I don't know anything about 'noise cancelling' technology. But as I understand it, they replace noise with other noise to make you think there is no noise. Like: Huh? [?]

nilsatcraft

I've got some Bose Triports. They're not noise cancelling (or at least not advertised as such) but they cup comfortably over the years and do a good job at getting rid of noise. The drivers in these headphones are really amazing. I got them as a gift but you can get them for about $130. They're really awesome and I've never come across better headphones for the money.

dwilasnd

The noise canceling headphones are not really good for a shop. I have used them in Enterprise Computer rooms, airplanes, etc...

While cutting/drilling a blank, the noise produced from the drill press/bandsaw was painful. If you have lots of lower level sound, the headphones will cancel it out. But I have lots of higher pitched sounds coming in. I wear my ipod headphones instead.

My headphones are Sony.

gypsy

[:)] Hi ya'll!

Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I wear hearing protection called the "QB2HYG Quiet Band" from Seton Canada. I have one for work (I use many pieces of equipment that create LOTS of loud, high-pitched noises/sounds), and, of course, one for the workshop.

This is not a noise canceling headphone- it is a hearing protection earband. But, IYI:

The NRR rating is 25dB. It is ergonomically designed; lightweight and comfortable; replaceable pods (depending on the use, I change them every couple of months); the band (not a cord) hangs around your neck easily when not in use, sort of like the not so old-fashioned earphones (you may even walk out of your workshop with it still around your neck- of course I am not speaking from experience...); and, while wearing it you can still "hear" what is going on around and in front of you (you are not out of touch with your surroundings). And on top of that, the colour of the band is orange so it is always easy to locate if you cannot remember where you last put it down, or hung it. The best part is that the cost is minimal (even if you have to convert it): The one time cost for the band is $7.20 (CDN)(buy more it's cheaper), and the replacement pods are $3.80/pair (CDN)(cheaper if you buy more, ie bulk pricing).

If this is of any help, further information you can be found at www.seton.ca , or 1.800.263.1623 (BTW: this is in Toronto/Markham, Canada).

Cheers,
norma [8)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom