The Next New Member

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

The next new member will be #28,000. A new milestone.

And where are they all???:):)

That's a good question. Of the last 120 people who joined it looks like only 14 of them have posted. It's easy to look back further but I didn't bother.

If anyone is interested, you can click on 'Members List' in the blue bar and then sort the list by 'Join Date' then click it again to reverse the sort so New members are on the first page.

At one time JP and I were working with Edgar. Between the 3 of us we sent every new member a PM welcoming them to IAP and encouraging them to post an introduction, pics of their work and just in general trying to get them to participate. I know when I was doing this I would see some of those new members post within a day or two of my PM. JP and I don't do it any more and we let Edgar know we couldn't. I don't know who Edgar recruited to do it but I hope someone is.

I believe Jeff also send every new member a PM.

mecompco

It's too bad more don't stick around. There are MANY (very many) on the pen turning FB page that would greatly benefit from being here.

Michael

jttheclockman

It's too bad more don't stick around. There are MANY (very many) on the pen turning FB page that would greatly benefit from being here.

Michael

You got that right. i take a peak over there now and then and many times questions get asked but with that format the questions get rolled down quickly and never get answered or many times this site gets link to. Just come here and no need for the FB sites. :):)

I really was hoping the newer member would bring new life to the site with fresh ideas. Us old farts are wearing out and can not carry the theme of the site forever. Would love to see pen ideas. Love to see the imagination expanded beyond the spin a blank theme. But it is what it is.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Speak for yourself sunshine!! There is still plenty of ink in my fountain pen and lead in my pencil!!!:biggrin:

Yes, new members do bring new ideas, but don't throw us old farts out too soon. Like you , I too have dozens of ideas and things I want to try but there doesn't seem to be enough hours in each day. Also, as our skills improve, so does our interests in making other things evolve. I'm just starting with knife making and also engraving and also mig and tig welding and I want to build a 4 axis cnc this new year. For me, all my creations stemmed from penmaking and stuff that inspired me on this site. I want to be able to use all my ideas and skills and tools and things I've learned, to make things that need all the various skills.

I may not make many pens at the moment but I ain't finished with them yet.!!:)

Chief TomaToe

I think part of the retention issues posed here have to do with the platform involved. I'm now past my rookie season as a member here, and I can attest to the quality of this forum. It is a welcoming atmosphere (as far as you can being online), and people are prompt to answer your questions and put thought into their responses. The reason, however, that it seems more people engage in a Facebook group as opposed to an online forum may be accesibility.

First of all, in terms of what pen turning involves, the online forum platform is much more efficient at disseminating knowledge and collaboration as opposed to a massive chat timeline - in my opinion. I would MUCH rather try to search for how to create a Celtic Knot tutorial on this forum as opposed to trying to find it on a Facebook group. I don't believe that Facebook is better than this forum as a space for penturners. However, this does not answer the question, "Why does it appear that there is more user engagement on a Facebook group?"

I have no data whatsoever to back up this claim, so feel free to ignore it completely, but I believe it comes down to the accesibility of Facebook and smartphones. A lot of people have smartphones, and a high percentage of those people already have the Facebook app. It is quick and easy to pull up anywhere you are. Whenever something happens, you get a push notification telling you to open the app.

I also have no data whatsoever on what devices the users of this forum use to engage, and how often they engage. I would pose that a user who only uses the web browser to use the forum, on average, would have much lower engagement level than say the user of the mobile app. I am aware of the IAP iphone app, but there is no app for Android users. However, I use the Tapatalk app for the IAP forum since I am an Android user and I find it to be a very smooth experience. This forum is very accessible, as long as you are using the right tool.

Perhaps one thing to think about would be promoting (especially to those in the Facebook groups) how EASY it is to interface with such a quality forum. Once people discover how much they can benefit from this forum, and how easy and simple it is to connect, then perhaps you may see a higher retention rate.

Once again, this is just a VERY unqualified opinion, but thank you if you made it down this far!

Michael

Very, Very true. In my very short year I've learned a ton from the members who, as mentioned, seem to be, for the most part, the same who post daily/weekly.
I guess I fall into the "Old Fart" category. I'm noticing a lot of things that I enjoy the younger generation doesn't. I play my bagpipe music for my grand daughters and they get these really strange looks on their faces. A lot of the old ways are fading away I just hope they don't go extinct. I'm very happy to see younger turners subscribing to this site, but I see way more older, retired people subscribing.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Well Chief I believe you summed it up in alot of words. People today are just plain lazy and in a hurry. They want instant gratification. If you can not find it on those so called smart phones it does not exist. I probably will not be here when all humans will be walking around with chips in their brains or glasses that have the smart phones at eye level and just say commands and it appears. If you are not going to stick around and engage why bother joining. Not much you don't have access to that is not free here.

Now Young man Skip I agree about not enough time in a day. Heck I am retired and still do not have enough time. I devote my time to many things as you do. I am dedicated to those things and no I do not get bored doing them. I challenge myself with new projects all the time. I even make a few $$$ from them. But my point is you are one I am one and there are a handful of others but the number 28,000 was brought up. We don't make a dent. Are we on a down spiral. Maybe the forum platform is becoming a dinosaur.

Last edited:
Top Bottom