Newbie Question about Things Other than Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phrog

I've been lurking on this site for quite a while but have never posted. I have a question about something other than pens and I'm not sure I'm in the right forum but here goes.

I just bought a double edgeRAZOR KIT from Craft Supplies. A very long screw holds the top and bottom together. The turner provides a turned piece of wood to cover this long screw. The screw can be cut off to make the razor shorter. Just wondering if any of you guys have put this razor together and how long you made the razor? Any comments would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Please give a link to the exact item in order to make it easier to answer your question.
Thanks.

wood-of-1kind

Handle length: 3-7/8" is maximum size but you can make it shorter if you wish. Uses
7MM tubes from what I can see.

Good luck with your new razor and do show it off.

magpens

Usually, you can edit your posts for about an hour after you posted.

Thanks for the link.

Within that link you can find the instructions for making the razor:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/safety_razor.pdf

The instructions are not totally clear about the length but I am glad someone above posted the handle length as 3.875" and mentioned the 7 mm tube.

If you want a shorter razor handle, you can shorten both the rod and the tube by the same amount. . Note that the rod and tube are of different lengths, so you have to take care to remove the same amount from each .... do not make them the same.

In my opinion, the original length would be the most commonly required and I would stick with the original unless you have good reason to change.

Do not assemble the razor without the brass tube over the threaded rod. In fact, the tube should be glued into the handle material before you turn/shape/polish on the lathe. . You didn't mention the tube in your original post so I got the impression you might be planning to leave out the tube .... don't !

Last edited:

phrog

Usually, you can edit your posts for about an hour after you posted.

Thanks for the link.

Within that link you can find the instructions for making the razor:

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/safety_razor.pdf

The instructions are not totally clear about the length but I am glad someone above posted the handle length as 3.875" and mentioned the 7 mm tube.

If you want a shorter razor handle, you can shorten both the rod and the tube by the same amount. . Note that the rod and tube are of different lengths, so you have to take care to remove the same amount from each .... do not make them the same.

In my opinion, the original length would be the most commonly required and I would stick with the original unless you have good reason to change.

Do not assemble the razor without the brass tube over the threaded rod. In fact, the tube should be glued into the handle material before you turn/shape/polish on the lathe. . You didn't mention the tube in your original post so I got the impression you might be planning to leave out the tube .... don't !

Thanks for the Edit info. Since this is my first post, I'm learning.

Thanks for info on pen handle size. I actually intended to make the screw and tube the same size but wondered what the "optimal" size is if not the longest length. You seem to think that the longest is "optimal." I would tend to think that myself but thought others with experience might have a different view and that is what I sought. Again, thanks.

Top Bottom