A New Truner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lee58

I was in Woodcraft a couple days ago picking up so quickly needed items. I happened notice a family was looking at pen kits and one could tell they were trying help their son find something to get him started. However, it did not take long to see they over their heads. The store was busy so no one was helping them so I asked them if they were just getting started and they said they knew nothing about turning but their son was interested in it as they called it hobby, but as we know an addition. They asked if I made pens and I told them I did and showed them one I was carrying. To make a long story short I invited the young man and his family over to my home and work shop and I would teach him how to work with a lathe and turn a pen. They were very excited about the idea. So yesterday Mom, Dad and the Son, who is 13 came over. We talked about safety, the lathe, tools and the procedures. I guided him as he did the work and he made his first pen. I am really not sure who was the most excited Mom, Dad or the Son they all had huge smiles. I am sure there will a couple of new turners, father and son. As they were leaving I told the young man I would make a deal with him that if he promised he would stay in school and stay away from drugs he would be welcome back in my shop any time. Needless to say a day well spent!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I love your story, Leland !!! . Very kind of you to befriend some inexperienced turners and show them the first few things about using a lathe to make pens !!!

studioseven

Thank You Lee58. That was very kind of you to offer your experience, help and shop. I hope some day I also will this opportunity.

Seven

Pen Joe

Now that is what I am saying, let's help those who help themselves and want to learn, what a Blessing for you to be able to help those folks, can you imagine how many times that story will be told of your kindness and willingness the help not only the young man but a Mom and Dad to see that they Son may use his Brain rather than the Cell phone to play games, in front to the television or Computer games, I am proud of you for seeing a need and seeing it through. hope that we get to see him on here and his pens and the big smiles from Mom and Dad.

WriteON

The good constructive things in life.... pass them on. When I was a kid I loved meeting people like you.

Last edited:

robutacion

I applaud you mate, those are the kind of gestures that people involved do not forget easily, despite that, there is a responsibility in my view from the more experience qualified people to encourage new people into the art, however, you don't need to be an expert to raise your hand up to help someone like this couple and their son, it feels really good to be able to do that, teach the new fellows the meaning of paying it forward, one day they themselves may be in the position to give that same sort of help to someone else and the story carries on...!

Well done, :biggrin:

Cheers
George

flyitfast

Great story Leland. It is one that many of us can relate to and share your excitement in helping both young and adult. Thank you for sharing to us and for sharing your skills to others.

I live just down the road in San Antonio, just off 1604. I am a member of the IAP Chapter of Alamo Penturners. We meet monthly at Woodcraft and would like to invite you to join us at one of our meetings. We meet the first Thursday at 6:30 pm. Come join us.
Gordon

Woodchipper

Great story and thanks for helping the family. I like your addition of the condition to continue helping the boy. Good motivation.

donstephan

Great job!

If you don't mind my asking, which tool(s) did you have the youngster using? And how did you get him or her started with the tool(s)?

Lee58

donstephan: I had him use the rougher from the Easy Start and a skew, but explained and showed the him a gouge, and a parting tool. Then I went over tool safety and reviewed lathe safety. We both set up the lathe for the rougher and I explained each step and why it is done. When it came time to use the rougher I gave him a demonstration by actually turning little on the blank just so he could see everything. I then gave him the tool and stood by him and guide him as he began turning. Then I coached him through the process. Then when he had finished with the rougher we switched to the skew and did the same process as before. He made 2 pens on the second pen I was there to guide him if he needed it but let him do everything and I observed. If you have any questions and or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom