New Term MEE and what it means to you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

When selecting an end sealer here is a new term to think about Moisture Exclusion Effectiveness or MEE. See table 16-3. Moisture-excluding effectiveness of various finishes on Ponderosa Pine.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_16.pdf

Do take that information with a grain of salt. I like paraffin wax because it is cheap, easy to melt and dip my turning blanks. Use Gulf Canning Wax available at most grocery stores & Wal-Marts. Have a hot plate to melt wax into a, pot, or frying pan. Fall & winter no problems but spring & summer temperatures can melt my wax. Also as wood dries it shrinks!

Also use Latex paint because it's cheap and have had mixed results. Could be due to wood species, MC of freshly cut wood, not enough coats of paint, swings in temperatures, and my storage location etc.

Yes, oil film finishes or silver oil paint probably better for the task.

Just remember do leave your spindle, bowl, & hollow form turning blanks longer than actually need. Do split large logs, but end seal ASAP. I am not as worried by the pith as many folks here but that another topic for discussion.

Good wood finishing books will tell you wood finishes only slow down water vapor transfer not stop it and some better than others.

Wildman

Difference between paraffin wax and water based emulsions like Anchor, Green Wood, & End Grain Wood sealers?

Original Anchor Seal, Green Wood, & End Grain sealers simply petroleum wax+ soap and below certain temperatures will freeze. Improved Anchor Seal contains methanol or simply methyl alcohol.

There are several brands of wax emulsion products on the market some even come in different colors. Do pay attention to label directions on storing temperatures. Have no idea whether can add alcohol to products to keep from freezing. Some of these products can be sprayed on with proper equipment, most other products normally just brushed on.

Have no idea about their MEE properties other than they work well at end sealing. Folks that cover their pen blanks, bowl & hollow form rough outs with these sealers often find still dealing with wet wood six months to year later.

Which product best serves as an end sealer entirely up to you!

Top Bottom