New Stash of Wood picked up today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chrisjan

I just picked up a couple of logs from a garden where a friend had done some cutting for the people... Nice and Red!

Looks like a kind of Eucalyptus - but its not something I know...

leaves are lanceolate and alternative and it has pods split in half with the inside being two distinct colors... Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• Stump.jpg
    Stump.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 354
  • leaves.jpg
    leaves.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 320
  • loaded.jpg
    loaded.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Stunning wood, Chrisjan!
Bob, will it keep its colour, do you think?
Do you know anything else about this wood?

We have lots of hakeas in Aussieland, this one looks different to any that I know.

Sorry, I cant help with the colour retention question. I have never used Hakea wood. But it sure is pretty.

Bob.

plantman

Chrisjan; Pods and leaves look like one of the hakea family. There are about 130 known species of hakeas from the Protea family ( proteaceae ) They are usualy found in the south western part of the Australian coast, and are largely used for landscapeing. They grow to 30-40' with large hard two colored seed pods. Flowers on some look like pin cushions. Color may turn a little darker when exposed to light same as cherry or purpleheart. Looks like some beautiful wood. Can't wate to see a pen made from it. Jim S

Last edited:

terryf

Nice haul Chris - I know it as needlebush and no it wont keep its original color.

It will fade over time but I did a little experiment a while back and turned a piece down to size on a jr gent tube and then left it in the sun for three days. A little bit of the color came back and then I sealed it with CA. The color eventually faded again and now it looks quite bland.

Segmenting with a bit of Kiaat may make it more interesting. Nice easy wood to turn and takes a lovely shine but drill before you nail or screw otherwise it splits. If you turn it before its dry it will crack on the tube.

Top Bottom