New PSI kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

Just got the latest PSI catalog and it has several new kits!

Cameo: uhhhh, its a little funky looking, but I like the clip!

Filibella: see above

Stratus 2mm pencil: I like the pen version so this would make a nice set!

Needle Files (not a kit): they look handy, weren't these things just brought up recently in a thread about long clickers?

Montague: I kind of like this one, I may have to order an antique pewter version.

Deer Hunter Bolt Action: awesome! Definitely on the need to try list!

All the antique copper kits: nice to see more platings added. Antique copper works on some kits better than others. I can see some cool steampunk pens coming out of these kits. I wish that the Spartan and Vertex got the new plating, but they might soon.

New Southwest Variations: I don't like this kit as much, but the new variations are interesting

I was a little disappointed that there still isn't a chrome version of the premium designer... But I think I might need to have a look at getting some of these new kits. Too bad PSI is such a pain to deal with.

What are your thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

Ok. Here are my thoughts:

Montague - gaudy
Filibella - gaudy with a girdle
Cameo - I like the clip and finial, but the proportions of the rest of the pen are off. I guess it has potential using contrasting materials.

I don't like a lot of PSI's new pens. They seem more gimmicky and gaudy rather than stylish and elegant. Of course, there are probably lots of people out there who would part with big bucks to get a novel-looking pen (even if I'm not one of them).

designer

Cameo is okay for some people.

Filibella I can see would sell to a select group. Dave is right with the the corset. Think corset for sales.

Stratus is different.

Montague reminds me of something a minister or priest would carry.
Deer Hunter Bolt action would sell easily.

All have potential.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Not sure I really care for any of them.
As a side note, it's interesting that PSI puts out a new catalog and when you go to the web site to order them, they are "Out Of Stock" already.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not sure I really care for any of them.
As a side note, it's interesting that PSI puts out a new catalog and when you go to the web site to order them, they are "Out Of Stock" already.

I BELIEVE that is somewhat intentional, Mannie!

They seem to bring in a couple thousand and sell them in the first 2 to 3 weeks. In one case, they limited purchases to five pen kits. That way, if it is "not ready for prime time", no one has a bunch of them, so there is no BIG complaining.

As you know, the IAP members have found "issues" with newly-introduced products. Those issues can be fixed and more pens are made and delivered.

In a way, this is prototyping on a grand scale. And, because they have such a large customer base, it works.

This also "shuts out" the PSI "dealers", so you have to purchase new products directly from Penn State. Which, may not be a bad thing as long as the product is still "experimental".

Penn State is definitely the "800 pound gorilla" in the pen industry. Although you rarely see customers praise them, they must be doing an awful lot correctly, since they continue to thrive--even selling to CSUSA!!

And they introduce far more new models than anyone else---good, bad or indifferent--Penn State takes more "risks" and deserves recognition for that.

I agree with most here I am not too impressed with the new kits, and actually the new kits before that. It seems like the target audience is very small. I am not too sure where they are getting their focus groups from but they should expand them some.

The kits they are coming out with don't complement the blank they detract from it. If I am trying to pick the perfect piece of wood, a very interesting hand made casting or spends hours on a watch parts blank I don't want to lose a sale because the pen kit looks to gaudy.

When the conversation about a group buy from PSI came up the minimum buy was $300. I looked through their catalog and really couldn't come up with enough that I wanted, or was willing to spend that much on.

I am looking forward to CSUSA to come out with some new designs, it has been a little while. The simply elegance and lines of the Jr's are hard to beat.

Mike

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
PSI

My take is that PSI has modified their business plan.

For years, if you saw one PSI catalog you saw them all. The only thing that changed was the page numbers where products were located. Depending on repeat customers coming back to buy the same things year after year.

That worked because the rest of the industry pretty much worked the same way. Different suppliers, got their "bread and butter" kit pushed them and worked around giving better value for dollar than PSI.

PSI now is changing the rules, many new introductions, appeal to first time buyers with tons of new kits. Like the old saying goes - "Throw a lot of glop at the wall and hope some sticks" Introduce a dozen new designs and hope one or two of them are home runs (like the bolt action) and maybe a few singles or doubles. The others will quietly disappear.

Interestingly enough, I think this is because they finally realized that they can do that and no one has deep enough pockets to follow.

DonWood

The way prices are going for pen kits, I am afraid that this hobby is going to severely limit itself in getting new turners. Seems like every time a new kit comes out prices are higher and higher.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The way prices are going for pen kits, I am afraid that this hobby is going to severely limit itself in getting new turners. Seems like every time a new kit comes out prices are higher and higher.
That's life Don. The Fancy Slimlines, Slims, Comforts, Designers, Euros etc are all still there and still priced low. Rhodium, Gold Titanium Nitride and Black Titanium Oxide are more expensive platings that many turners are now demanding so the price goes up.

BSea

About the only one that I like is the stratus. It looks like a pen used by engineers or scientists (ok, geeks):rolleyes:.

The others look too ornate. I can see a case for a medeval looking pen. I really like some of the pens shown recently with this theme, but I don't think there needs to be a complete line of pens using this style. They already have the Knights Armor, celtic, and victorian. There can be to much of a good thing, so the montague is redundant to me. The same could be said about the Deer Hunter. But I'd be interested in adding the clip to a bullet pen.

Like others have said, most of these new kits take away from the blank. And as pen turners, we're more interested in what WE make rather than the kit. However, for those who sell lots of pens, the market might like some of the new kits. But I don't sell many pens, so i like understated kits that show off what I turn.

Top Bottom