new modem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm looking for a modem - no idea what to look for. We're thnking of switching from cable to dsl, as we don't use it enough to justify the expense...we don't download anything, so our data usage is essentially non-existent.

I don't need a router, as I have one already - just need an ADSL2+ modem (whatever that means).

We're only getting basic speeds - about 5mbps - so we don't need the fastest...just wondering what to look for!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I don't know enough about modems to recommend one but I will tell you we had DSL at about the speed you mention. With that even opening webpages and websites was slow. Sometimes extremely slow. A lot of sites have pictures and advertising running on them and I think that really slows stuff down. Even IAP ran slow at times. Netflix did a lot of buffering. We now have cable for out internet running at 17mbps. It is soooooo much better.

When we switched from DSL to Cable we went to Best Buy for a modem/router recommendation. He asked a few questions about what we use internet for and then made a recommendation. He also made two other recommendations if we wanted something less expensive. He was very helpful and explained why he made the recommendation.

WIDirt

I kinda have to agree with JimB.

If you have cable for your tv, stay with it for your internet. Even if you don't, you will find DSL to be very slow. Webpages are a form of download, (I am sure you already knew this, but..)

They way websites are built now, along with all the advertising, videos that are embedded, photos, etc., ect., you WILL notice the difference.

My daughter changed over to DSL in Colorado, where they claimed to give up to 6mbps. Her actual speeds were around 2mbps, with a lot of 1mbps and the occasion bump to about 4. Not one time that she tested, using Speedtest.com, did she ever go above 4. Ever. She made 3 months before she went back to cable.

FWIW, YMMV

WIDirt

We can't get cable where I live, so I'm having to use DSL... my speed is between 4 & 5 MBS, which I don't find to be all that slow, but I'm a patient sort anyway and don't worry about having the fastest and mostest.... if we could get cable, would definitely opt for that.... we have option to use satellite, but would have to make so many changes, email addresses, etc., plus data limits, just not worth the bother.

MRDucks2

When I have bought my own modems over the years I have always been happy with NetGear products. When I went with a microwave link, the provider sold modems, too, and offered an extended warranty. He showed up with a NetGear.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Marmotjr

I would kill for 5mbps right now. I'm at .1 mbps for the majority of the month, due to the hughesnet salesman pulling a bait and switch on me. I don't recommend getting satellite internet unless you absolutely have to (which is the situation I'm in).

I'd contact your local DSL provider and ask them. If they try to give you the runaround about getting a router too, ask for the technical support guys who know what they're talking about. They are usually under less pressure to make a sale and will divulge the info you require, just cause most of them are geeks and will talk shop. They might have an option where all you need is the modem, most services seem to if you ask.

I'd recommend getting at least a 14.4k modem. ;)

Top Bottom