A new low in pond scum. - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Tim, Gwen is one of my best and most adventurous turners. She was the first to turn acrylics, and loves beautiful blanks. She has a shelf that she keeps her "pretty blanks" on so they don't disappear before she can schedule another session. She would love one of your blanks. Mark, she really likes Gatsby kits...that is what most of her pens are. She takes advantage of our "turn two for us, get yours free" policy and has put some really pretty items in our sale case. Plus the fact that they don't have to pay for donated kits, and only have to pay for the price of the kits we buy. She turned several of the Gatsby pens you sent us Mark. (She loves the olive wood. She can't see colors, but can see the grain if there is a lot of contrast in the blank.)

She had a stroke that left her almost blind, with a speech impediment, a crippled right arm and hand that can just barely hold a tool, and weakened legs...uses an UpWalker and is just about to finally get a power chair. She is a single mom of a really great 16 year old daughter who is so good to help her mom.
Sharon, I have 40 prepped Gatsby Kits, and 50 unopened new Gatsby Kits all property of the Visually Impaired Penturned Group buy. I also have many Olivewood blanks (no certificates) in the IAP Estate Blank Bins. I will send out 15 of each this week, and some extra bushings. I'll also look for some blanks with very distinct grain. There are still 315 kits ava from the group buy. Some will be used at Raleigh at the AAW Symposium, but there are plenty for the programs that could use more kits - prepped or not. And the 15 IAP volunteers are still fine to do the prep work.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 36

Thanks, Mark. Our program would not have ever become this successful without the support of the wonderful people on this forum.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #23 (permalink)

Another thank you to an IAP member. Some time ago several members bought lathe pen presses for three of my at-home turners. Woodchipper also sent me a lathe pen press at that time, which we use at the center. Gwen was never able to put her own pens together because of her weak right hand and arm. With the lathe pen press, she simply goes around to the back side of the lathe and operates the tail stock handle with her good left hand and can put her own pens together for the first time. Thank you Woodchipper!

Advertisement
Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send me your PayPal account, I'd like to help your project.

Get the Pressure Pot Caddy!
Vertical Casting System
The MakerHive

BeeAMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeAMaker View Post

Please send your visually challenged turners PayPal address to me too. I am very sorry for this incident; it was totally unacceptable behavior.
mmayo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

Lever Pen press. I have a PSI (with the 3 plastic spacers) I’m
not using. Will provide model number later. If it can be used Ill gladly send to you.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool professional pool cue repair lathe

Last edited by WriteON; 02-10-2019 at 05:04 PM.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 484

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayo View Post
Quote:

Please send your visually challenged turners PayPal address to me too. I am very sorry for this incident; it was totally unacceptable behavior.
You may certainly send assistance directly to Sharon for her program in Arizona. If you wish to assist the entire group (Toronto, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Tampa, Kansas City, Portland and Phoenix), I have been accepting the donations offered via IAP. (I will respond with PM's shortly).

I have been accepting the donations in my own PayPal account (Yes, there is a trust issue I acknowledge). This will be only be until the filings are finished for the organization to get their charitable/tax-free status approved (my terms may not be proper).

Andi Sullivan is the founder of this project and at last communication, late fall 2018 was finishing the filings. After final approvals and tax status, the funds I am holding will be transferred. As of today, I am holding $543.00 in donations for these chapters, as well as the bulk of the $1,600.00 group buy for 5 different kits these chapters use, which I coordinated last year.

Additionally the following IAP members have assisted/offered with donations or prepped blanks for those chapters who are unable to prep their own blanks:

dalecamino
EBorraga
Stonepecker
dieseldoc
swagopenturner
scissortail pens
MBroberg
Cwalker935
Magicbob
Tony L
Jim15
thewishman
TimMc
mark james

This is a low-profile project that IAP has been quietly assisting with. I will be attending the next AAW International Symposium in Raleigh, NC this summer to assist Andi with her project, demos and in any other manner that IAP can be of service.

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.

Last edited by mark james; 02-10-2019 at 05:39 PM.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteON View Post
Lever Pen press. I have a PSI (with the 3 plastic spacers) I’m
not using. Will provide model number later. If it can be used Ill gladly send to you.
Thank you so much for the offer, but we have changed to using the lathe pen presses because they have so much more control, especially for pressing in the transmission in a slimline. They can give it a couple of turns, try the refill to see if it is far enough, press it in a little bit more, until it is just right. With the lever, they usually go too far and then I have to take it apart and start over.

Talk to Mark. One of the other blind turning projects might need one. He is in contact with all five of them.

Last edited by sbwertz; 02-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #30 (permalink)

Yes, please keep the other projects in mind. Our project has become so successful that we are better equipped and better funded than most of the other projects. Especially the newer groups would be most grateful for your support. I remember when we were just getting started and had one little jet lathe and a set of turning tools, and that was about it. IAP is a major reason we are now pretty much self supporting.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads