New iPad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

I placed an order for one yesterday morning on the Apple web site and they say 1 to 2 weeks to ship. That isn't a problem but I am anxious to get my hands on it and start playing to see what I have been missing out on for all of these years.
I also ordered a case and camera adapter along with it. This morning I had an e-mail with a tracking number for both of them. They shipped FedX from Shenzhen China, would have expected them to come from a US warehouse.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I have never seen an ipad and don't expect to be getting one, but I heard there are problems with the new one. Seems the charging is too slow. With it plugged in and charging if you have the screen on the battery will go flat.

its_virgil

The heat problem happens when playing CPU intensive games. I'm not a gamer...not even solitare. I've had mine since the 16th and have experienced none of the reported problems. It seems to be an incredible machine. This is my first iPad and my first experience of any kind with one. I look forward to learning what all I can do with it. Fun times ahead.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

hewunch

All Apple products that are purchased from Apple.com come from China. 2 iPods, 2 iPads and my mom bought an iPad too, never had an issue.

clapiana

I went to Shenzhen a few years back. all kinds of flea market type shops selling anything and everything in regards to electronic parts and ripped off merchandise however not a single apple item could be found nothing apple was on street. want an ibm thinkpad every corner had somebody selling one but not a single iPod could be found the iPad was not released yet back then. so apple has a lot of pull in that city which it owns pretty amazing. so no surprise they could mange export to the US directly from where they make everything which again is amazing in that we are talking about mainland china.

enjoy that IPad you will love it and the 1st app to buy is forum runner to read the IAP on. :)

Last edited:

Scott

So, are you making a list of apps you want? Start looking for discounts on iTunes cards. Have fun!

On my recent trip to Hawaii, I was amazed by how many of the tourists had completely forsaken cameras, and were just using their iPads to take pictures!

Scott.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The "heat" problem shows how much some people and news orgs are looking to "make news" or tear it down. It heats up to 116°. UP TO 116° in intensive heat mode! MOST laptops don't go much below that in NORMAL operation!

Where the news comes in on the heat issue is that it is "warmer" than the iPad 2.

scotian12

Got my IPad on the first day they offered it and no waiting in line. I am on the initial charge so I can't speak to the overheating issue. I view IAP on Safari. I have the G4 model which allows me to use it in a non WI Fi area but have yet to do so as I'm looking for an inexpensive data plan. This is a real cool machine and I am enjoying learning about its many features. I purchased a couple of magazines on the iPad 2 which are applicable to this IPad and that is fun exploring. Friends have recommended apps but that is a personal appreciation so I will go slow as I explore this new medium. Regards Darrell

I have never seen an ipad and don't expect to be getting one, but I heard there are problems with the new one. Seems the charging is too slow. With it plugged in and charging if you have the screen on the battery will go flat.

I've had mine since the 16th. It's on all day and half the night, and has yet to go dead. Been pretty low, but never dead. It gets plugged up when I hit the sack, and it's fully charged when I get up. That's anywhere between 3 to 6 hours..

Also heard that it will heat up to 116 degrees. They say they will have a fix soon.....but

For typical use, I believe that's a nonissue. I've yet to have it get as hot as any of the laptops I've ever had. That includes while playing games for longer than I'd care to admit. :)

Last edited:
Anyone looking to buy the iPad should really consider going to an apple store, as opposed to getting it online. Someone came over to help as soon as we entered (helpful, not pushy). I told him what I wanted. He brought it out to me, and rung me up right there. During all the hope of the first day, we were in and out in less than 5 minutes. No wait for the slow boat from China.

76winger

I got my first iPad just before the release date. Picked up an iPad2 that someone was selling to gather up funds for an upgrade. It's got everything I need since I don't expect to be playing games or watching movies on it, and at half the cost of the new one... Pretty decent deal I thought.

tjseagrove

Heat Issue - Non issue from the start...

Not So Hot: New iPad Heat Levels Comparable to Android Tablets | PCWorld

Faster processor.....check
More pixels on screen.....check
Faster graphics chip.....check
Extra heat.....check

It is par for the course for technology and the 116 degree temp has not been repeated in any tests that I have read about. Warmer, yes, out of the ordinary, no.

Tom

PS I would trust PCWorld any day over Consumer Reports for these kinds of tests....

Last edited:
Top Bottom