The new family member...! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

St Bernardís are our favorite. We did go with rescuing a Mastiff while in Houston as we didnít think a Nard would do well down there. I think we have owned a total 6 adults, the first one named Kitty. All rescues. Including the adults, puppies and a rescue we were helping place we have had as many as 15 at one time.

I have always preferred dogs that I donít have to bend over to pet. Biggest Nard was Dimitri, 38Ē at the shoulder and 252 pounds. He would lock up around puppies because they squeal if you step on them and didnít want to hurt anyone. He could not drink out of a 5 gallon bucket because his head was too wide.

The unfortunate part is they only live about 8 years on average.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 42

I know....Way too short a life span. But I love them dearly. All mine were also rescues. People get these adorable puppies then discover they grow into shetland ponies!

One of ours was a rescue from a breeder. He was the last of 12 puppies in a litter and had some oxygen starvation. He was a sweetie, but not too bright LOL. It took him almost three months to figure out that if I closed the door to the kitchen from the living room he could go down the hall and go into the kitchen through the other door. Micky wasn't the brightest bulb in the pack, but we loved him. The breeder was going to put him down, but we persuaded him to give him to us instead. There was nothing genetically wrong with him, and he was a beautiful dog, and sometimes they brought one of their bitches over to breed to him.

We also rescued a Newfie, but he couldn't get along with our male Saint, so we found him a different home.

Actually, the Saints do well in Phoenix weather. The heavy coat insulates them from the heat as well as from cold. Of course they were inside in the AC most of the time, but never had a problem with the heat here. One of ours was a rough coat and the other two were smooth coats. All three were wet mouth, though....drool up the walls when they shook their head.

Last edited by sbwertz; 04-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.
sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Did they say that Luna had ever been around dogs? If you foster, be sure that any dogs you foster are not aggressive with cats. Some dogs cannot be trusted around cats. I've never officially fostered dogs, but I have taken dogs from friends who had a change of circumstances that prohibited them keeping their dogs, and eventually re-homed them. The cats were hostile at first, but when the dogs were not aggressive, they tolerated them.
The best info we have about Luna is that she captured (trapped I believe) by animal Officers in one of the city suburbs and brought in to the RSPCA shelter about early February this year where she stayed since.

They estimated her age to be now about 11 months but I wouldn't be surprised if she is younger, she looks still small, but I may be wrong, she weighs 3 1/4kg.

We are aware of some dogs and cats not getting along, Zac was deadly on cats and even any other dogs so, the idea to adopt a cat then or even another dog, was completely out for the 12 years we had him.

Luna keeps looking at the outside through the windows, I would like her to go outside at some point but I believe a little too early yet, I wonder if cats can live a good life being inside of the house all of the time/their life's...?

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robutacion View Post

Luna keeps looking at the outside through the windows, I would like her to go outside at some point but I believe a little too early yet, I wonder if cats can live a good life being inside of the house all of the time/their life's...?

Cheers

George

Well, George, Fancy and Peaches are sisters we rescued in Texas and brought with us when we moved to Indiana.
img_0564.jpg
They seem to be pretty content in the house. They do have access to a closed in back porch in which we will open windows for them and Peaches will get very vocal at a window if she notices a bird outside. After 3 years in doors, there are times they will act like they want out on the front porch and I, being a man I guess, will let them go. It typically lasts only a few seconds of looking around before they decide to go back in.

We also have an outside cat who we often let stay on the back porch during our winters. When it is time to go back outside, she is not immediately happy but someone has to catch moles. Soon she only occasionally wants in and we often let her in on those occasions. She stays a couple of hours then goes to the door to be let out.

I believe a cat can be completely happy indoors all the time. They can also be pretty happy outdoors all the time, though our outdoor cat wants in more often than our indoor cats want out.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ours go in and out through the doggie door. They don't seem to leave our back yard. They are both pretty old now and I'm not sure they can get up and over the seven foot fence any more. But I saw one of them up in the crotch of the elm tree about five feet up, but that tree is much easier to climb than the cinder block fence.

I had a beautiful long-haired tuxedo feral cat for almost ten years. We trapped and neutered him, but couldn't tame him...guess he was too old. Couldn't touch him, but he lived in my garden shed where he had one of those bulk feeders, and I have an automatic outdoor waterer for the cats and dog. When the weather got really bad I would occasionally find him in the kitchen asleep in one of the chairs under the table. He would go flying out the doggie door when I came in.

Last edited by sbwertz; 04-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

We have had up top 4 cats at once. We are at 2 currently. They have never been outside. They have plenty to keep them occupied in the house. We have coyotes in our area and they would be a meal for them. I would lose my mind if they ever got out.
JUICEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

One of my friends lost her little cat to a great horned owl. Swooped right down into her fenced yard and carried her off.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Thanks for your answers, as I admitted, we know very little about having cats as pets and I'm sure I could find all the info I need on YouTube or Google but I also know that many IAP members have or have had cats as pets for a long time so, sharing our thoughts here I can learn a lot of stuff, also.

I may have many other questions as I go but at the moment and with this cat starting to get used to the house and us, I wonder if we got a "mad" cat, this creature gets moments where she goes totally silly, running from one end of the house to the other like a rocket, I mean flat out and then she decides to "attack" us like jumping in bed and clawing/bitting our feet or you can have her on your lap and all of a certain she grabs our hand with both front and back legs and those sharp claws dig in to bleed sometimes so the question I have is, having a pet cat and being scratched all over is that part of the normal "deal"...?

Can cat claws be trimmed...? does it work...?

PS: Mike, your 2 cat sisters are beautiful..!

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/

Last edited by robutacion; 04-16-2019 at 12:35 AM.
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 34

The extreme expenditure of energy is typical cat behavior , because that is required in the wild to catch food . Some individuals when by themselves may not do it much . Teenage ones will do it most . If you had 10 cats in the house , they would probably all be running at the same time , because it becomes a game . They compensate by having cat naps for 15-20 hours per day .

The clawing/biting is more of an individual thing . Some seldom do it , some frequently to get your attention . Have had a couple tomcats in our shop that come up to rub noses as soon as I enter , have a look of absolute bliss on their faces as I scratch their heads for 5-10 minutes , then will rake their teeth across the back of my hand as soon as I stop . Yes , scratches are fairly common .

Hopefully , Luna will stop thinking of you and Merissa as large mice once she gets used to having food regularly available . Cats tend to be snackers , so I would suggest giving her free access to dry cat food . Generally they seem to regulate intake and not get fat , as long as you don`t give them a lot of treats . Let them lick out an occasional empty sardine or pea soup can or yoghurt container , but don`t give them any sardines or peas or yoghurt . She would find the odd pea sized piece of slightly mouldy cheese totally acceptable .

My experience with having 1-15 in the house and/or shop at a time . Some odour involved .
1080Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Interesting story.
Sign at vet clinic- Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.
Bumper sticker- I like cats. They taste like chicken.
Trivia- In North Carolina, state law declares due to the independent nature of cats, you cannot claim to own them but keep and care for them. This was from an attorney.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads