The new family member...! - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
KLJ

Photos: 32

Glad things are working out for you looks like a nice pet.
KLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 76

Congratulations, George and Merissa !!!!
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 68

Remember, dogs have masters, cats have staff!!!
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Cool story. We recently adopted (were acquired by) a feral cat, Lou. He spent the first three months in the rafters of the basement, but now won't leave off head butting for scritches all night long. Getting accepted by a cat is a wonderful thing.

Gallery on the Lake, Lake City, MN
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicehouse View Post
You do realize, that a cat is not your pet, you are the cats pet.....
I disagree. After 70 years of living with cats, I know for a fact that you are a cat's slave. And love every minute of it.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner11 View Post
George,

You will never regret getting a cat. However, if you still feel that you miss having a dog the two animals will almost always get along. Or at the very least be used to each other. Our kitten thinks she is a dog as a matter of fact.

Congratulations on the new family member.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
When we got our shepherd/shar pei mix 7 years ago, our 6 year old female cat immediately adopted the 2 month old puppy. He weighs in at 65 lbs now, and Rascal still thinks she is his mommy. She washes his face, rubs her head and ears on him, plays with him. etc. She is going to be 14 this year and our other cat is 13 this year, and they all get along perfectly. (Well, Bandit complains loudly every time the dog noses or licks her, she tattles on him.)

Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Hi Sharon,

The hope is that if we are accepted to foster other animals, mainly dogs and possibly some cats that, they all get along, I couldn't have any other animal when we had Zac we still don't exactly know he tolerated Teddy from day one even though he was always a bully to Teddy nevertheless they lived together almost 12 years with only a few disagreements but any other animal, cat or dog, big or small even Teddy lookalike dogs Zac would go straight for a nasty fight so he could never go out loose and that was a shame.

As I was saying, the idea is to get one or 2 animals we can foster, the good news that the only thing that you have to pay for is their food, food dishes, beds, and pretty much it, they supply a carrying box and any medications they require, any need to visit a vet, they cover it so, the fear of big vet bills will be taken care of unless Luna becomes sick.

There is a different feeling on fostering animals, initially, they are never you and never will unless you decide to adopt him/her, fosters, in my opinion, can enjoy the dog's company and affection, your responsibility is given them the best care and love, they are there to get better and enjoy a better life than the one they would have at the shelter in preparation for them to get their forever home, I'm sure that will break our hearts but we know they only with a foster for a short period of time, up to 6 months as I've been told, in any case, we believe we are ready to give it a try, we have nothing to lose, huh...?

Cheers
George

Email: nyodine@yahoo.com.au

Web-Store: https://www.georges-bits-of-timber.com/
robutacion is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Congrats! Luna both looks happy and as if she has gotten what she needs, I am sure the two of you will feel the same.

We have often had cats and dogs. Right now 2 inside cats, 1 outside and a St Bernard who is in and out. Funny things is our Roomba robotic vacuum. Dog is terrified of it. One of the cats will trap It between her from legs and slap the bumpers back and forth not letting it go anywhere. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Did they say that Luna had ever been around dogs? If you foster, be sure that any dogs you foster are not aggressive with cats. Some dogs cannot be trusted around cats. I've never officially fostered dogs, but I have taken dogs from friends who had a change of circumstances that prohibited them keeping their dogs, and eventually re-homed them. The cats were hostile at first, but when the dogs were not aggressive, they tolerated them.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDucks2 View Post
Congrats! Luna both looks happy and as if she has gotten what she needs, I am sure the two of you will feel the same.

We have often had cats and dogs. Right now 2 inside cats, 1 outside and a St Bernard who is in and out. Funny things is our Roomba robotic vacuum. Dog is terrified of it. One of the cats will trap It between her from legs and slap the bumpers back and forth not letting it go anywhere. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Aren't St Bernards a hoot? I've had 3 through the years, the biggest one weighed in at 215 lbs...vet had to weigh him on the horse scale because the dog scale maxed out on him. He use to sleep under the kitchen table and when the doorbell rang he would carry the table on his back half way across the kitchen before he managed to skin out from under it.

The kids used to harness him with a big draft horse halter over his head and buckled under his belly and tie him to the wagon and give all the neighborhood kids wagon rides around the neighborhood. He would let the cats steal his food....he would stand there and whine while they ate his dinner.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads