A New Carbide Turning Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Thanks to IAP member Larryc I have 80 new to me turning tools. Larry presented me with 80 used 15mm square inserts. They are used but work well turning wood and plastic. I made a insert holder today and tried one without sharpening and it worked great. I still need to make a handle for it but tried it just holding the steel rod. Thanks Larry.

Attachments

• 1-20141106_161658.jpg
    1-20141106_161658.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

That is awesome. My first thought was how did you make the tool holder, but then I remembered you do metal lathe work as well as wood lathe work. Great deal for you! I have only used a round Rockler carbide so far, but was eyeballing the Capt Eddie, but well that is on hold until he gets back into the shop. :)

sbwertz

I made a set of carbide tool handles from a set of Harbor Freight pry bars.

Pry Bar Set - 4 Piece

I cut off the bent end and ground a flat for the cutter, and tapped it for a screw. Four tools for about three dollars apiece. I've been using them for several years now. One of the plastic handles eventually came off and I replaced it with a turned ash handle.

wyone

Where did you get your carbide tips Sharon? I really want to get a new carbide tool or tools as all I have is one Rockler round I think 12 MM. I want to try one of the square or r2 or r4 carbides to see if it helps to eliminate some of my sanding and smoothing time. :)

Lucky2

Mitch, even though he is under the weather, you can still place an order on Eddie Castilin's site. He may not be filling the orders himself, but, there is someone keeping up with them and shipping them out asap. It is one of the cheapest places that I've found to buy carbide inserts, and they cut well and last a long time.
Len

Skewer

What do you need to tap that hole for the screw on those - is that typically a standard size?

sbwertz

Where did you get your carbide tips Sharon? I really want to get a new carbide tool or tools as all I have is one Rockler round I think 12 MM. I want to try one of the square or r2 or r4 carbides to see if it helps to eliminate some of my sanding and smoothing time. :)

I buy them from Global Tooling. You can buy the screws there, as well.

Carbide Insert Knives - Global Tooling

Here is a picture of the tools. I left a bit of the bend in one to make a hollowing tool. Included is a picture of one of the pry bars before modification.

closeup.jpg

carbide%2Btools.jpg

Last edited:

endacoz

Sharon what size did you make the threads in your pry bars for the global tool cutter screws? are they 10-24 too? like Capt Eddies

Top Bottom