New Beyond the Basics Article

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I was a bit disapointed to find the "Beyond the Basics" article on the home page was not "Beyond" at all. At first I was excited to get some doing something new.

Great Article, but wrong name. Maybe "Getting Started with Penturning".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's more a begining tutorial than anything else. Did notice he used a polymer blank which was odd.

Skye

Someone who has no clue how to turn a pen may find it interesting, but anyone who has completed a single pen will have seen it all before.

Thanks for the feed back All
These are indeed my teaching notes I use for my pen turning class. I understand that this audience here at IAP may well be beyond the basics that are highlighted here..no problem, my Skin is thick enough to respond and appreciate your inputs[;)].

Pehaps this is indeed a more basic approack for many of you, I can see that...a Title change could easily be made.

Just to clarify why I titled my overview as such, it is my focus on making it Beyond The Basics as applied to the approach that compliment the basic pen classes that most beginners are exposed to using basic woods, pen kits etc.

So fire away, what can be improved in this to best support what you want to learn...change is good, critiques make us all better...So I am open to your comments.

[:D]

wood-of-1kind

Hello Jim,

I found your tutorial very well done. Really enjoy the visuals and step by step approach. With your permission I would love to make a hard copy and share it with my audience. Very good work from a Canadian presence. YOU DONE GOOD!!!!!

-Peter-[:)]

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />Hello Jim,

I found your tutorial very well done. Really enjoy the visuals and step by step approach. With your permission I would love to make a hard copy and share it with my audience. Very good work from a Canadian presence. YOU DONE GOOD!!!!!

-Peter-[:)]

Thanks Peter....hey, It's there to be used for those who can benifit from what I have learnt...I have no problem sharing what ever i know, I have no secrets...(yet!!)
[;)]

DWK5150

Jim,

I liked the tutorial it is very informative and very well writen but the title is a little deceving as others pointed out. The visuals are great also.

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Jim,

I liked the tutorial it is very informative and very well writen but the title is a little deceving as others pointed out. The visuals are great also.

Hi Don,

I appreciate your kind words. I think in it's context where I use it mostly it fits really well, but here it might be so....Good Thing I didn't call it Advanced Methods ...[:D]

I also wonder though how many new pen turners would consider it for what it is...no problem,, maybe some ideas on titles that would best suit this site would be a good way to get started.

Thanks for the feedback Don![:D]

Ron Mc

Jim,
To this date I was still laying my tubes on the blanks to mark. As I'm sure you know this can be difficult when not working with a straight blank. I hadn't considered the marking jigs that you have made and like the idea.[:D]
I just finished writing an article so I understand how much time this type of thing takes.
Well done and Thanks.

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />Jim,
To this date I was still laying my tubes on the blanks to mark. As I'm sure you know this can be difficult when not working with a straight blank. I hadn't considered the marking jigs that you have made and like the idea.[:D]
I just finished writing an article so I understand how much time this type of thing takes.
Well done and Thanks.

Thanks Ron,

I came up with the jig idea(Not taking credit for it being original, but I have never seen one before...but if I am the first then great![:D])from my furniture making...I find that I can layout quickly a group of blanks and get moving through the process quickly. I hope you find that useful and benificial in your pen making. Make up a set of blank jigs and take them to my classes, the students eat them up...simple and easy to make.

[;)][;)]

Johnathan

Jim,

Please don't feel that I didn't like the article, it was very well done. I was just hoping for a little more than the basics. I loved that blank, great color pattern![8D]

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />Jim,

Please don't feel that I didn't like the article, it was very well done. I was just hoping for a little more than the basics. I loved that blank, great color pattern![8D]
Hi Johnathan,

No ill taken my friend [:)]...I know ...we all want that advanced process to knock out some killer pens, that is good!! But I focused on this being the process for those going from basic to making pens that are a better than they have made...give them what I know and have learnt, so I titled it as I did...

I think that if some one were to sit down and write out an advanced method, then we would be well into DESIGN variations on pens and kits (what a big topic that is), rather than the engineering aspects of making apen.

This article is about the Engineering of making a "better Than Beginner pen". I think that once you know what that feels like then you are better able to express your self in the design aspect of pen making....so many people here at IAP are there now and enjoying the process and I enjoy learning from them..

The fact that people are hungry for information to make themselves better pen makers is very encouraging...and sharing helps us all get better!

Thanks for your feedback
[;)][;)]

dfurlano

The good news is that Jim did a very good job on the article, for which a lot of beginners will be thankful for having. The great news is that we are pushing the bar way up and people that frequesnt this forum want to learn advanced techniques.

So I want to thank you Jim for putting the this together and hopefully this will inspire more articles.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Jim,
Excellent article. My only thought is in reading the article, it sounds like you use <b>both</b> CA and epoxy together to glue in your tubes, when in reality, I assume you mean you use CA <b>or</b> epoxy.

Very well written Jim (pat yourself on the back for me)

I have one question.
On pg 13, is that a skew?
If it is, long point down?

I always use long point up

BTW I use a story stick/jig as well for my pen blanks

gerryr

Aside from the title being "off," I found it extremely well written and would have loved to have had something like it when I turned my first pen. I've always measured for cutting by laying the tubes on the wood also, but I'll be making some jigs soon. Using dyed BEB was a good choice for the wood, it stands out well in the photos and looks great in the finished product.

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />The good news is that Jim did a very good job on the article, for which a lot of beginners will be thankful for having. The great news is that we are pushing the bar way up and people that frequesnt this forum want to learn advanced techniques.

So I want to thank you Jim for putting the this together and hopefully this will inspire more articles.

Thanks Dan...yes I focused my material the way you read it...trying to do just that,

Thank You![:)]

Originally posted by Monty
<br />Jim,
Excellent article. My only thought is in reading the article, it sounds like you use <b>both</b> CA and epoxy together to glue in your tubes, when in reality, I assume you mean you use CA <b>or</b> epoxy.

Good catch,, yes, CA or Epxoy...

[;)]

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />Very well written Jim (pat yourself on the back for me)

I have one question.
On pg 13, is that a skew?
If it is, long point down?

I always use long point up

BTW I use a story stick/jig as well for my pen blanks

Hi Ron,

Yes it is a skew and I have gone Long Point down now for some time..

I used to go long point up, but I get less catches with it down. I look at hand tools like golf clubs, I have a set, I develop my skills with each club/tool uniquely...sometimes I find that a certain method works better for me than others..so I go point down, but....I have been known to flip it once in awhile too!

[:D][:D]

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Aside from the title being "off," I found it extremely well written and would have loved to have had something like it when I turned my first pen. I've always measured for cutting by laying the tubes on the wood also, but I'll be making some jigs soon. Using dyed BEB was a good choice for the wood, it stands out well in the photos and looks great in the finished product.

Thanks for the feed back Gerry!!

[:D]

Hi All,

I have taken all your kind and constructive feed back here and via email. I have asked Jeff if he can change the title for my article, I have settled on a new title "Building on The Basics"

Thanks again..[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom