New aroma in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I decided to take a "shortcut" in cleaning some jawbone, what a mess. I put them into my ultrasonic cleaner and basically made swamp soup. My entire shop stinks like a swamp and my neighbor came by to tell me that his shop stinks of it too, I told him to go and check all the bathrooms for a backup but he didn't find any...LOL...The smell is still there and the bones are in an oven drying out now. Can't wait to get back to LA. so I can enjoy the smell full time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I decided to take a "shortcut" in cleaning some jawbone, what a mess. I put them into my ultrasonic cleaner and basically made swamp soup. My entire shop stinks like a swamp and my neighbor came by to tell me that his shop stinks of it too, I told him to go and check all the bathrooms for a backup but he didn't find any...LOL...The smell is still there and the bones are in an oven drying out now. Can't wait to get back to LA. so I can enjoy the smell full time.

If you tell your neighbor what the smell is and where it came from, he will probably be willing to buy you a ticket back to LA!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It's bad enough that he closed up for the day, gave me a dirty look and point up in the air at something and left. The smell is actually bad enough to turn my stomache.

GoodTurns

the only way to make it worse is if you did something very similar, but your shop was in the basement of your house....so I heard....

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I'm in a commercial building now, more room and neighbors pointing up at something in the sky to me as they are leaving today....LOL

Justturnin

yikes......everytime I start to get the nerve to cut into one of my Jaw Bones I read something like this and put it back. I got a nice cartrige respirator mask for Christmas, I wonder if that will filter out the smell. Maybe if I hang some pine tree car fragrance things over each cartrige.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
yikes......everytime I start to get the nerve to cut into one of my Jaw Bones I read something like this and put it back. I got a nice cartrige respirator mask for Christmas, I wonder if that will filter out the smell. Maybe if I hang some pine tree car fragrance things over each cartrige.
Just soak the jawbone in warm water for a little while and then turn it a bit, it will prepare you for anything.......LOL:biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

During boiling the smell makes me think of a fish market that's been abandoned for a week with the fish rotting.

Justturnin

ok now for my Noob question. Why Boil them? Is that just to clean them or are you trying to straighten them like Antler?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Just cleaning some dirt off for me, I don't think they will straighten like antler as they are made of different material.

For some reason a song keeps popping into my head today, something about "I ain't here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time".

Justturnin

Just cleaning some dirt off for me, I don't think they will straighten like antler as they are made of different material.

For some reason a song keeps popping into my head today, something about "I ain't here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time".

Mental note, boil jaw bone in house so you dont stink up the shop.....check

I like that song.:beer:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

Mental note, boil jaw bone in house so you dont stink up the shop.....check

I like that song.:beer:
Warning: Using your wifes oldest pot for this could cause you problems, use the newest ones. At least that was what i learned when i removed the wax from some burls with my wifes oldest (antique) pot. That tells me she must have preferred me to use the new pots instead. May as well give you some other good tips. If you want your dinner cooked at home, don't use the kitchen oven for baking polymer clay, especially when you are expecting someone else to shut it off when you are in the shop and have forgotten about it. I have a ton of helpful tips that I have learned over the years.Heres another one, if your wife says she wants a divorce, the best answer to stay away from is "my girlfriend wants me to get a divorce too, you are all alike". I wonder if these fumes are dangerous in here.

qballizhere

Just think how it was when I got about 100 fresh from this years hunt they really needed to be cleaned. Chunks of meat sinew and tissue were still on them. The ups driver wanted to know what was in the box because his truck really smelled and my house is at the end of the day for them. Have hunted for years and cleaned all kinds of animals as well as bones you will be fine from the fumes now the neighbors ect that is a different story. If you wanted you could bleach them in h20 overnight. They will have to dry out for a while and since its winter may take a little longer.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Just think how it was when I got about 100 fresh from this years hunt they really needed to be cleaned. Chunks of meat sinew and tissue were still on them. The ups driver wanted to know what was in the box because his truck really smelled and my house is at the end of the day for them. Have hunted for years and cleaned all kinds of animals as well as bones you will be fine from the fumes now the neighbors ect that is a different story. If you wanted you could bleach them in h20 overnight. They will have to dry out for a while and since its winter may take a little longer.
I threw them in the oven for an hour and they feel dry but I'll let them sit in my shop for a few days before I use them. The shop is so dry at this time of year, my biggest concern is static sparks around all the dust created here. I have to wear a grounding strap when I use my buffer.

At least your getting some meat in your soup, mine is just broth...LOL

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It's bad enough that he closed up for the day, gave me a dirty look and point up in the air at something and left. The smell is actually bad enough to turn my stomache.

Throw a little cologne in your stabilizing tank.
Maybe a bit of "Eau de doodah day"

Top Bottom