Need source for regluing sanding belt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The drive belt for the Performax/Jet 16-32 drum sander is basically a very wide sanding belt. The one that came with the used 16-32 I just bought came unglued. It looks like the glue/tape that holds it together just let go. Does anyone know of a source for having it reglued? Other than it coming apart, the belt looks to be in great shape.
I did purchase a new belt, but it would be great to have the old one for a spare.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I would try carpet tape. Heat activated. Just like the carpet guys use to glue seams together. That is the same principle that sanding belts are made. It is specialized tape though and they use a press. Good luck with that.

SteveG

My guess is that whatever you try will probably not work. It is something that has to hold tight with no creep, resist some heat, flex all the time, be smooth, thin, and ultra-strong. I wish you well in your quest of the "Holy Grail".:eek::biggrin:

Monty, Can't help you with the re-glue, but if you can't make it work, the sanding belts make great hand sanders... I take old belts, but them into 1 to 2 inch strips and use them by hand to sand bowls and pepper mills.... careful as sometimes they will get hot and burn the fingers.

KenV

High strength hot melt glue and a junk electric iron I'd what I have used. The iron will likely get glue on the bottom.

Goal is to get a thin layer of glue without lumps and bumps.

There is a tendency to gain thickness at the splice.

jttheclockman

They do wear out also. Had to buy one about 3 years or so ago. Vac them and I also use the big eraser on them as I do the sanding belts.

low_48

Add anything that increases the thickness and you mess up the sanding process. You'll get thinner boards when they are between the thick seam and the sanding drum.

dogcatcher

I found that sanding belts have a self destruct shelf life, depending on where you live, the humidity, heat, cold etc., affects the glued seam. Never buy more belts than you plan on using in a less than a year. Years ago I found a great deal on 1x42 belts, after about 2 years when I put a new belt on they started breaking at the seams. I checked with the manufacturer and was told about the shelf life. I had about 30 belts that became sanding strips.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I found that sanding belts have a self destruct shelf life, depending on where you live, the humidity, heat, cold etc., affects the glued seam. Never buy more belts than you plan on using in a less than a year. Years ago I found a great deal on 1x42 belts, after about 2 years when I put a new belt on they started breaking at the seams. I checked with the manufacturer and was told about the shelf life. I had about 30 belts that became sanding strips.
That's what I was afraid of. Didn't know if there was anyplace to send them to have them reglued.

Top Bottom