Need some honest criticism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I'm looking for some honest criticism for this project, as I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.
It's one of the lids I'm working on, but I recently found out new information about the recipient.

I thought this was just going to be another round box, but I found out that it's going to be used as an urn for a little girl that just passed, over the weekend. She lived a very short life, but she was a very happy little girl, that brought joy to everyone around her. Upon hearing this, it saddened me and also made me feel honored to be chosen to make such a special piece.

Finding out this new information, I knew the size I had was entirely too small, so I contacted a local funeral home to enquire about sizing. The size was increased to 6" diameter and 8" tall. There will be a brass plate that I will engrave with the name, applied to the face of the box.

I'm going to make this as a gift and I want the couple to be happy with it, without seeing it first. So, if there should be any changes, I need to get it done, so I can get this finished as soon as I can. I don't have the artistic eye that many on here have.

I appreciate any help you care to provide.

n9g6V0S.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Make the lid box connection so that it does not come apart inadvertently. Threads are common as are discrete screws through the side into the lid tenon.

Terredax

Banned
Make the lid box connection so that it does not come apart inadvertently. Threads are common as are discrete screws through the side into the lid tenon.

Thanks Ken. I asked about how the lid is commonly affixed and the funeral home told me they use an industrial silicone on the ceramics, stone and similar materials and a bottom that is screwed on for the wood styles. I'll have the couple let their funeral home handle the process.

Yablonsky

Hi there.

I'm not sure what you're asking to be critiqued.
Looking at the provided lid, i do like the little cherub but it does seem sad to me. Not sure if you want to go that direction or in a direction of showing a glint of happiness.

In loosing my wife, I want to remember her being happy, not in the sick manner in which she died with cancer.

Hope this helps.

Ken

TonyL

So sad. We lost a full term newborn girl, Tara, but had her buried. I like to remember as an adorable little girl celebrating life. I have no idea, but I can't see the family objecting to the cherub (it is very tasteful IMO), but I would prefer something like this (I hunted around for 15 minutes, this was as close to what I would want.):
little-girl-holding-flowers_1794.gif
But that's my taste.

robutacion

Well, I would like to give you another 2 possibilities that and in this case, are already converted into Gcode, I can share that code with you, I purchased them so, is up to me to do what I want with them...!

Butterfly girl image.jpgGirl with flowers.jpg

Cheers
George

jttheclockman

So much sorrow for the family and my heart goes out to them. I probably could not make such an item. I wish you well and I am sure you will do it justice.

My thoughts are this I would have an Angel carrying the child into Heaven. I have no idea about construction and feasibility of making.

Urn-Angel-&-Child-Maple_1271777371.jpg

Or if you want to stay with the cherub I would say a praying one might be better.

child-cremation-urns-CBU-871_1284137956.jpg

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
From a design point of view you may want to tweak the wing on the cherub. It looks a little squared off to me.

Terredax

Banned
I appreciate the input.
The couple already liked the, what they called a baby angel, but they have no idea what I'm trying to make for them now.
I'm sure they will be more than happy with anything related.

Well, I would like to give you another 2 possibilities that and in this case, are already converted into Gcode, I can share that code with you, I purchased them so, is up to me to do what I want with them...!

View attachment 162421View attachment 162422

Cheers
George

George, thanks for the offer.
Those are dished and I was trying to keep the design above the z plane.
Also, they are an oval design and since they are tall, I think they might lose detail to fit them on a 6" diameter. What's your thought on them fitting?

So much sorrow for the family and my heart goes out to them. I probably could not make such an item. I wish you well and I am sure you will do it justice.

My thoughts are this I would have an Angel carrying the child into Heaven. I have no idea about construction and feasibility of making.

Urn-Angel-&-Child-Maple_1271777371.jpg

Or if you want to stay with the cherub I would say a praying one might be better.

child-cremation-urns-CBU-871_1284137956.jpg

Thanks John.
The first image is engraved and I would like to stay with the 2.5D. I think it is more elegant and adds dimension.
As for the praying cherub, I do have one. It's almost exactly like the one you posted. I'll see if I can make it work.

From a design point of view you may want to tweak the wing on the cherub. It looks a little squared off to me.

Since I'm new to the 2.5D stuff, I'm not sure how to tweak just the wing. I can modify and alter the hole model, but I'm not sure how to do only a portion.

Terredax

Banned
Here is a quick model of the second cherub/angel.
I can refine it a little more if it's preferred over the other one.
Thoughts?

z8rSL46.png

robutacion

Each model has 3 different cut-outs the first option is raised up and the second is dished. Where you will run into troubles is to make it round as the dimensions ratio would change however, there is no reason why the design can't stay in its original ration and round the board is was carved in, the other issue would be the design proportions for a round area, they are more long than wide.

Cheers
George

Terredax

Banned
Thanks George.
I actually adjusted the first design a little bit and spent some late hours last night getting it cut.
Today, I have some time scheduled on my neighbors lathe to get it finished.

With any luck, I hope to present it to the couple tomorrow.

Top Bottom