Need to learn 50 Languages!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Okay, so I don't really need to learn 50 languages. I just need to learn one phrase in 50 different languages.

Side note: My Donation Drawing prize arrived from John U in the mail today.

JohnU-Goodies.jpg

As you can see from the 6 layers of packaging, he didn't want them to get damaged in route.

JohnU-Packaging_1.jpg

Almost forgot. The phase I need to learn in 50 languages is "Don't Screw Them Up!"

Thanks John! I'll try to do them justice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is a nice win and you are lucky to get those. But I always can look back and read old Eagle's response when someone turned one of his special blanks and they worried about screwing it up. He would calmly tell them it is only a blank I can always make another. :) May God rest his soul.

Mr Vic

That is a nice win and you are lucky to get those. But I always can look back and read old Eagle's response when someone turned one of his special blanks and they worried about screwing it up. He would calmly tell them it is only a blank I can always make another. :) May God rest his soul.

And may his memory and legacy live on and inspire the turners of tomorrow!

JohnU

I'm glad they arrived safely in original shape! lol Congrats again! and don't stress over turning them. You'll do just fine. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or problems with them. They turn very easily, just don't turn them while they are cold, use sharp tools and don't get them too hot while sanding. I have total Faith in you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I hate to tell you this, but "Don't screw them up" is not a true translatable phrase that will have the meaning you want in all languages.

Google translate and Babble will not do a good job for the literal meaning in most languages. Here is how to test if the meaning is done correctly:

1. Take the phrase in English and have it translated into language B through translator 1.
2. Take language B translation and insert it into Google Translate or Babble or translator 2 and see if it comes back in English the same way. 9 times out of 10 it will not. If not, the meaning is lost. (East is East, West is West, and never the twain shall meet. That is reference to cultural translation as much as anything.)

"Don't screw them up" translates in Google Translate into
それらを台無しにしないでください in Japanese

but that translates back into English as: "Do not ruin them"

"Don't ruin them" has a much wider and less intense meaning than the original in English. IF that is acceptable then go with it. If you want the specific intense meaning of the original, that might be hard.

Top Bottom