Need inlaid cross blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Eagle used to make these blanks for me. I have a customer who buys 15-20 Jr. Statesman roller ball pens from me every year. He already bought 10 early this year and wants to buy 10 more. I remember seeing someone else's take on this blank and it was very good. A running joke between Eagle and me was that I am not a woodworker. I just make pens and that's it, so you're wasting your time and mine by suggesting I make them myself. If you can make 10 of these, send me an email and we'll discuss the price.
KenKeller.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

One stupid question from someone with out experiences on inlaying.

Is this cross seen from 2 sides of the pen (this one showing and the opposite side), or just one side ?

Can someone perhaps give me a link to some tutorial on this matter ? Most of them in the library are for inlaying the entire body of the pen.

Thanks, and oh yes - great pen.

gerryr

The inlay is only on one side. The guy who came up with this design, Eagle, did not believe in tutorials. A few people here figured out how he did it or came up with a different way to accomplish the same thing. Eagle may not have actually invented this design, but his was the first I ever saw posted here.

To answer Mike's question, Lyle Walden and I are discussing these.

One stupid question from someone with out experiences on inlaying.

Is this cross seen from 2 sides of the pen (this one showing and the opposite side), or just one side ?

Can someone perhaps give me a link to some tutorial on this matter ? Most of them in the library are for inlaying the entire body of the pen.

Thanks, and oh yes - great pen.

workinforwood

If I wanted to, I could whip them up pretty easy. Is it two halves seamed together or all one piece bored out and filled? Two halves would be easiest, but I doubt he went the easy way. If I was to do it the hard way, well it's the ole wishbone router technique. Kinda like how they make the spaceship looking inlays in the back of plywood. You have a template and 2 guide bushings. One guide bushing is for the hole, the other for the inlay. The cross is simple, say a piece of 1/2 thick bloodwood. You slice it every couple inches in width and glue in a strip of white. Then you cut it the other direction every few inches and glue in a strip of white, so you end up with a grid basically. Then you attach the template and cut out the crosses just like a production line. It's not easy to set up, but once you iron out the kinks, you can make dozens a day.

At one time, I heard he made his crosses and the inlay itself was done on a tablesaw. That I can't visualize, but there's many ways to skin a cat!

Woodlvr

Thanks Gerry. I really like Eagles way of enclosing the cross with an alternate wood. He truly was an artist.

Top Bottom