need help with epoxy resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KLJ

First attempt with epoxy resin, it seems to have hardened all but the top is still sticky after a day. It was poured into a plastic container about 4 inches wide by 6 inches long 3/4 deep if this helps. Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

First attempt with epoxy resin, it seems to have hardened all but the top is still sticky after a day. It was poured into a plastic container about 4 inches wide by 6 inches long 3/4 deep if this helps. Any and all help would be appreciated thanks.

What resin are you using?? Stick it outside in the sun or in a toaster oven designed for casting not the one in the kitchen:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jttheclockman

John thanks for the help it was east coast resin crystal clear topcoat.

Is that a casting resin or a table top resin?? Table top resins do not make good casting resins. They are designed to use in layers and thin ones at that. Just my opinion. :)

KLJ

A table top resin as far as I know, my son had bought it for another project and decided to try and make a pen blank with it. While I have your attention what would you suggest we get to make pen blanks with? As of now I don't have a pressure pot but hope to get one soon if that would make a difference. Thanks again for your help.

jttheclockman

A table top resin as far as I know, my son had bought it for another project and decided to try and make a pen blank with it. While I have your attention what would you suggest we get to make pen blanks with? As of now I don't have a pressure pot but hope to get one soon if that would make a difference. Thanks again for your help.

No pressure pot than you want a resin such as Silmar41. Some people had good success with cast-ncraft sold at craft stores but never sure how long it has been sitting there so that could be a factor. Many people have started using epoxy resins with good success and no pressure pot including myself. These resins are Liquid Diamonds and also Royal Palm are the names and various vendors carry them. The resin you want to stay away from is Aluminite. Need a pressure pot. With the casting resins I gave you to help even more in eliminating bubbles is to heat the resin before the hardener is added just to thin it and that is with silmar41. The epoxy resins are so thin no need to heat and they take much longer to cure but do dry crystal clear but all can be tinted if need be for making colored blanks. Epoxy resins cost more. That is about all I have for you.

With what you have it may work but can be prone to cracking. Like I said most resins dry sticky but to completely dry just some heat will take of that. :)

When they use bar top resins to help the bubbles burst they sometimes run a torch over it to give it some heat. people have done that to silmar as well. Check out the casting forum here. There is all this info in there and many other opinions. Happy casting.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Great to see you getting started in working with the resins. I know some of my first good cast blanks were some of my best, I think because I was guessing more. Get a little practice, then a get an entry ready for the
Pretty Resin Pen Contest during the February BASH.
John T can be a great coach for getting you a win!
Take a look at the rules for what is considered the fairest, best balanced competition for all members:http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pretty-resin-pen-contest-rules-157766/

Top Bottom