Need Help With An ASCII Code??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Anyone know the ASCII code for the "cent" symbol?? I have a book that has the information; but can't find it. Haven't been able to find the info on the Internet after an extensive search. My thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
For quick reference Randy... if you go to Programs/Accessories/System Tools you will find a link to Character Map... that will give them all to you...

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Thanks, Ron. Just what I needed.

Tom: I'll file that away for future reference. Thanks. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with WIN98 which is my current OS.

That should work down to win95

Randy_

After seeing your comment, Ron/Tom, I dug a little deeper and found that there is a character map available with WIN98; but for some reason, it was not loaded or was deleted from my PC. Guess I will download it from the Microsoft web site.

Doghouse: Thanks for that link. Going to mark it for future reference. Guess it would have helped if had searched "ASCII" rather than "ASCI" ?? Since I didn't see the "cent" symbol in the ASCII table, I assume the code that Ron posted is some other "system" of symbols. Does it have a name or special designation?? Thanks,

Tea Clipper

It also depends on the font, not all fonts are fully populated. To use the shortcut Ron posted, hold the ALT key down and type 0162 on the numeric keypad (on your right). This shortcut works for the standard Win OS font and many other common fonts. If you have MS Word, you could also choose Insert|Symbol... and a character map is also displayed.

The original ASCII table contains 128 chars, the first 32 where for control (non-printable). As computers evolved, the table expanded (doubled) to 256. Now, the unicode character format holds 2^16 (64k) possible chars. But again, not all fonts are fully fleshed out.

Randy_

Originally posted by Doghouse<br />7777772E41534349497461626C652E636F6D........

Doghouse: I have no idea what that means; but thanks for ther link to the Jim Price web site. It was very helpful and there are a lot of other neat things there as well!!!

Ron & Ron: It turns out that "ALT 155" also gets me the cent(s) symbol that I was looking for. Thanks.

And now lets see how smart you guys really are. I'm sure that the symbol we have been discussing has a name.....something other than "cent sign." Anybody know what it might be? First one to come up with the answer will win a shiney new <b>1¢</b> piece!![:D][:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />¢ alt 0162
¢ alt 155

Just shows ya, there is more than one way to do things and still be right

Ron: My problem is that I usually find more than one way to do things and they are all wrong!![:D][:(!][:(!][:D]

Doghouse

That was a joke. If you look up the HEX pairs, you will find it is the ascii code for the web address I included at the end of the first post. The second is a much better web site for the english ascii chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom