Need help from the all-knowing OZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I need to give a guy a price for a pen. He wants 4 for each of his band members with the name of the band on it. I was thinking:
1. Sierra or wall street? (Maybe some other big body pen)
2. Click or not?
3. Decal or label?
4. Acrylic or wood?
5. Rollerball or standard ink (whatever comes in the kit)?
6. Your additions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I need to give a guy a price for a pen. He wants 4 for each of his band members with the name of the band on it. I was thinking:
2. Click or not?
3. Decal or label? (what's the diffence between these two?) What about engraving?
4. Acrylic or wood? Acrylic if they play rock, wood if they play country (kind of like the guitars each would play)
6. Your additions

My thouhts in Red

navycop

2. Click or not?
3. Decal or label? (what's the diffence between these two?) What about engraving?
4. Acrylic or wood? Acrylic if they play rock, wood if they play country (kind of like the guitars each would play)
6. Your additions

My thouhts in Red
Decal-waterslide/repositionable. Label-thicker/stickier.
My thoughts in purple.

gbpens

Go with the best quality you can use/find. A couple suggestions above have expressed good guidance on plating. If you go with "acrylic" consider some of the blanks available through the IAP site. They are unigue and reasonably priced. Offer your best work in terms of fit, finish overall appearance. Engraving is always an add-on. Price it as such. Our cutomers are often our best advertising.

Shock me

I sell quite a few of these, usually in bulk for gifting. In keeping with the style, my thoughts in red:
1. Sierra or wall street? (Maybe some other big body pen) Same pen AFAIK, perhaps some minor style differences. They tend to be very popular as gifts and the recipients are nearly always impressed. I think there is a big difference between selling a pen to a person who will use it vs gifting it (especially in bulk)-the latter recipients are less likely to be "pen enthusiasts". The humble Sierra plays quite well and the single barrel style allows for quick production. If you are looking for a bigger body, consider the Wall Street III/Sierra Vista-same tube, bigger hardware so even faster production since you turn less material off.
2. Click or not? Not! But test all your transmissions, make sure they are tight and provide instructions for refills since it's not obvious to everybody and gift reciepients may not know how to find you
3. Decal or label? Engraving.
4. Acrylic or wood? Agree that it depends on the taste of the recipients, talk with your client. Does the band name suggest a color scheme or material (Jerry and the Box Elders?) Personally, I think most wood looks a bit wrong on a Sierra body, but that's just me. A nice pearlescent acrylic with some visual depth goes over big.
5. Rollerball or standard ink (whatever comes in the kit)? Always upgrade!Nothing says "crappy pen" like one that writes poorly, and the ink supplied standard in most kits writes poorly. Go rollerball or upgraded ballpoint. And test every one to make sure it writes! Most embarassing to gift a pen and have it come right back because it won't write (DAMHIKT)
6. Your additions I wouldnt offer 24K gold plating. Chrome is inexpensive and wears well, so it's my favorite. Personally, I think the chrome goes very well with a wide range of colorful blanks, I find gold pairings more restrictive (but beautiful if well chosen).

I'd encourage pen boxes when gifting, which has the advantage of allowing you to slip your business card in, the recipients should know how to find you- I can't tell you how many times I've had gift recipients place their own bulk gift orders.

As for pricing, most of my Sierras (all acrylic) go for $35. Add $5 for a box, add $10 for engraving. Your market may very.

Top Bottom