The Need For Face Mask - Dentists as Well - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Default The Need For Face Mask - Dentists as Well

I was just reading an article on Yahoo about "a fatal disease striking dentists and no one knows why."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dent...202653420.html

Actually they do know the generalities of what causes it. “The interviewed patient, who had never smoked, reported not wearing a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health-certified respirator during dental activities throughout his 40-year dental practice,” the study reads. “He wore a surgical mask for the last 20 years of his dental practice.

That article made me think of all the dust and fumes that we as pen turners face on a regular basis. I do not wear a simple mask but rather a respirator since year two of pen turning. I wear the respirator when turning - but do not even think about all the "floating" stuff in the room when not turning.

Wear a good fitting respirator OR in about 20 years this will be some of "our" headlines.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 03-13-2018 at 10:10 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have a respirator but have to wear a quality dust mask. I can't wear the respirator as it changes the position of my glasses and I get a bad headache from my glasses being out of focus. When I apply CA to my pen blanks, I have the Shop Vac running and it draws the fumes away so it doesn't become a problem. Years ago, our barber had clippers with a vacuum system, first time we had seen them. My father asked what the vacuum was for. The barber said that barbers can develop respiratory problems from breathing the fine bits of hair that float in the air.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
I have a respirator but have to wear a quality dust mask. I can't wear the respirator as it changes the position of my glasses and I get a bad headache from my glasses being out of focus. When I apply CA to my pen blanks, I have the Shop Vac running and it draws the fumes away so it doesn't become a problem. Years ago, our barber had clippers with a vacuum system, first time we had seen them. My father asked what the vacuum was for. The barber said that barbers can develop respiratory problems from breathing the fine bits of hair that float in the air.
That is why I use the Resp O Rator. I can wear my glasses and goggles with it.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Quote:
Goggles will not protect your face if something flies off the lathe directly at you and you can't dodge fast enough... DAMHIKT.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I think the point that Hank was making is that there is a growing concern that dentist and dental hygienists are presenting with cases of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. He is speculating that this could be attributable to extended use of surgical masks, and suggesting that wood turners could face similar problems.

I suppose one could hypothesize that the cause of the condition is that face masks release cellulose fibers that are inhaled by the wearer. And if that is true, then Hank's theory could bear out in fact. But if that is the case, then I would expect that others in the medical community would have the same problem - dentists aren't alone in prolonged use of face masks. Note that the condition is called idiopathic - which means that the cause is not known.

I think we need more information. For now, however, I will continue to use a face mask when sanding.

Of course, the other side of this argument is that there well known risks associated with NOT wearing a face mask. So the bottom line may be that there is no way to totally avoid all risk - and we have to take reasonable steps to manage the risks that we know we are going to face.

Last edited by monophoto; 03-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

TT, I use a full face mask for turning and a 3M dust mask, N95. Forgot to mention that. Can't wear the respirator with it. If I wear the respirator for sanding, etc., interferes with the position of my glasses as mentioned.
Dentist and dental staff would be inhaling the fine dust from drilling and using pumice for polishing.

Last edited by Woodchipper; 03-14-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Woodchipper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The paper face masks filter what it can see... worthless for fumes.
Shop Vac filters are worthless for sawdust unless they are HEPA. The dust comes right back into the room with the standard round paper filter.

As for the dental personnel getting a lung disease from wearing protective lung equipment is a head scratcher.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellicoTurning View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwertz View Post
Quote:
Goggles will not protect your face if something flies off the lathe directly at you and you can't dodge fast enough... DAMHIKT.
I wear a full face shield when turning, goggles when sanding and finishing. Goggles are cheap and I can just throw them away when they get finish all over them.

sbwertz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 6

If you can smell it, you are inhaling it. What is often most dangerous, is often undetectable.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads