Need drill press help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I know most of you drill on a lathe. I got my drill press awhile back and figure I might as well use it. The trouble is the throat depth is to short. I tried my pen vise it. I drill about a quarter of the way and had to raise the vise up. I tried flipping the blank over, but I only went about a quarter that way also. I have a 4" (I think) penmakers drill bit from woodcraft. I chucked it as little as safely possible. By the way the vise was on the base. The table was to high, even being set as low as possible. I can pictures in the AM if needed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Burns

Mike,

I had the same problem with my drill press and the bit was drifting. That's why I went to drilling on the lathe.

Joe

ctubbs

Mike, not being able to use the dp table, I would use some flat cribbing to raise the vice with the blank as close to the bit as possible. The cribbing MUST be solid, not wiggling, or the hole will not run true. If you are drilling a 2 piece blank, cut the blank to its approx length before trying to drill. If you must drill a long 1 piece pen blank, use multiple layers of cribbing to raise the vice after drilling the first half of the hole. Be sure to turn off the motor before raising the vice. Not an elegant solution, but if the bit is long enough, it will work. Keep us posted.
Charles

navycop

This may be a silly question, but can't the table of your drill press be raised and lowered? what kind of drill press is it?
nava1uni: the table can be raised and lowered. The way it is configured it has a coller around the pillar. This coller is about 2" and the table will not go all the way down to the base. I had to swing it out of the way to get the vise in.
Haynie: the blank was a piece of walnut for a Wall St.

dgerwin11

/home/dgerwin/Pictures/Drill Press Vise.jpg/home/dgerwin/Pictures/Drill Press Vise.jpg

I had to do this to get pipes drilled. It also works for pen blanks. since it only has 2" quill travel, I had to drill 2", extend the bit from the chuck and finish drilling the blank. Much easier to drill on lathe.
DrillPressVise.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom