Need a bell with less Taiwan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlconner

One of my customers wants an order of dinner bells made.

I found this one and made a sample, which she loved except the inside of the bell is prominently stamped "Taiwan". She would prefer made in America, but understands that may be unrealistic at a price she is willing to pay. What she would like is to have an option that does not mark it as strongly.

Anyone know of options other than PSI and Craft Supply that has a bell sort of like this one? Thanks in advance.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBELLG.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

One of my customers wants an order of dinner bells made.

I found this one and made a sample, which she loved except the inside of the bell is prominently stamped "Taiwan". She would prefer made in America, but understands that may be unrealistic at a price she is willing to pay. What she would like is to have an option that does not mark it as strongly.

Anyone know of options other than PSI and Craft Supply that has a bell sort of like this one? Thanks in advance.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBELLG.html

Maybe use just the bell off of something like this.

Solid Brass Wooden Handle School Reception Dinner Hotel Hand Bell Sale - Banggood.com

This was just my first search at my goto direct from China online store and it looks pretty rough around the edges.

Last edited:

KBs Pensnmore

How thick is the sides of the bell? If its thick enough, why not turn the insides to get rid of the of the casting marks, can be done with HSS tools. Make up a jam chuck with a lid that can be screwed to the jam chuck to hold it in place.
Kryn

carlconner

So, just to come back to this thread, here is how things turned out. My customer did not like the first brass bell as it had a large "Taiwan" stamped inside of it. I did some research and located a company in East Hampton, CT that claims to be one of the oldest bell makers in the US (since 1832). Their name is Bevin Bells, main web site is: Bevin Brothers Manufacturing Company | Bell Company | USA Bell Manufacturer

The nice folks there make a variety of bells including a hand bell they manufacture as the 2 HB (pic below). I contacted them and asked if they would cut me a deal if I did not need their handles. They did and I am happy with how the project turned out. At the end of the day I got Made in America for the same price as made in Taiwan. Doesn't happen every day. And the bell is nicer too.

I worked with Heidi L. Bodley (hbodley@bevinbells.com) and she took good care of me. Just FYI if someone else wants to give them a try.

Pic of the first dozen bells that went out the door this morning is attached. These are turned from Eastern Red Cedar from a historical site here in Virginia.

Attachments

• BevinBell_2HB.jpg
    BevinBell_2HB.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Bells.jpg
    Bells.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 123

Rockytime

Very nice bells. Make great Christmas gifts. Are these their tea bells? Also, are the handles threaded? I think I will try them. The quality appears to be excellent.

carlconner

This is the 2HB, which they sell as a "hand bell" but their tea bells are similar. The handle (on the one I bought with a handle) is turned wood with a small spigot on the end that goes inside the bell. the clapper is on an eye screw that goes up inside your turning. A washer helps to hold it tight. I like the quality and their sound. The web site has a feature that allows you to listen to the tone of each bell. I don't have any relationship with them, except as a happy customer.

Charlie_W

Carl,

Good job on finding a truly "Made in the USA" bell!

Wonderful job on the handles too! I like the red cedar!

Are these for the same customer we have discussed before?

Top Bottom