My take on seam rippers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

The one on the left is red elm that had a little spalt that all turned away and the one on the right is ash. I know they aren't ground breaking but they were my first ones so I didn't to use my better blanks, just in case.
2005101722853_elm-ash_seam_rippers_1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very cool Kevin! I bet they fit nicely in your hand.

Johnny, several people got some at Wal-Mart for pretty cheap.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks guys.
Johnny, as Jim said, I got them from Wally world for $.89 each.
I was amazed how puny the handle is on them out of the package, about 1.5" long and about .250" diameter. Now I just got to find somebody who sews...

tipusnr

I like the design on your handles. Hadn't thought of bulkier shapes as most of the one's I have seen were slim and had me thinking in that direction. Please let us know how the users like the design.

Czarcastic

Kevin:
My wife LOVES those! She asked me to make her one as soon as she saw them.
She does quite a bit of sewing and crafts, and said that the small grips on the seam rippers cause her hands to cramp after just a few minutes.
Thanks for inspiring my next project. [;)]

dubdrvrkev

Jerry on one that I used a 7/64 bit I added a little epoxy in the hole because the ripper was not as secure as I'd like on the other I used a 3/32 bit and once I fit the ripper in, it wasn't coming back out so I figured no glue was needed.

Seeing them used, the first thing I thought was they needed a larger grip, so that is why I went that route.

Steven, I'm glad I can help out [;)] As we all know a happy wife is a happy family.[8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Jerry Crice
<br />My question is how do you secure the seam ripper in the handle? Do you use epoxy or what?

I made a couple and glued them in with epoxy. However, someone else here said his buyers wanted to be able to remove the blades and replace as they get dull. So, maybe just forcing into a slightly undersized hole is the way to go. BTW, at a recent show, ladies saw mine, loved them but hated the $12.00 price. My handles are essentially made from scrap so cost is minimal. But I rankle at the idea of selling my work (too) cheap as it demeans the craft. I would rather give my stuff away as gifts.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kevin,

I bought a 10 packe from Woodturningz, but have not gotten around to turning any. Frankly I was surprised that you made the handles so large, but the cramping hand remark is an excellent remark. I likely will shamelessly steal your idea. [8D]

dubdrvrkev

The handles aren't THAT big. They are only made from pen blanks and are about 2.5" long.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give woodturningz a buzz and see if they're any less expensive from them.

dubdrvrkev

Probably not worth it then. I paid $.89 (IIRC) at walmart and I'm sure shipping is more than tax. Maybe when I'm ordering some more slimlines it'll work out.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom