My son is Safe...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
A very random thread, however...

My "Son" (nephew), lost his parents; Sister-in-Law and Brother-in-law (Wife's side) when he was 2. We were Guardians... (You remember that ceremony in Church that we think nothing of...)

Parents were "World-Class" Skydivers in 1981 (Jayne Marchant represented the USA in the World meets (only civilian woman on the team); Scot Haslam was in the top 100 world-wide, but was a pilot for the planes.

Bad plane crash in Rocky Mount, NC. (1983), both were lost. I adopted a second Toddler (20 mths old) ... Picture below shows him ruining my TOOLS!

Just received a message from him that bad news is impending... he was the Go-Pro Photographer on a jump that went bad. No pictures yet, but he's safe. Hope none of his video goes viral.

Midwest Skydiving out of the Wisconsin/Chicago area??? Chis is in Chicago in Graduate School and works as a Photographer and parachute packer for $.

Life is short - make it mean something!

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Mark you and your wife are good people. God will have a reserved place for both of you when the time comes. Glade to hear that your "SON" is alive and well. Treasure what you have !!! Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Glad that he is safe.
Looks like you taught him well with the tools.
Saying a prayer of thanks.

But not the googles! I look forward to having another "lesson" for him from the "old Man" as he calls me! He has called me worse!!!

BTW: He picked up my Skew and on pure instinct/luck used it with a a high degree of success.

He made this last Thanksgiving... nursing a 1 too many single malts with his cousins (18 overnight).

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 132

robutacion

My "Son" (nephew), lost his parents; Sister-in-Law and Brother-in-law (Wife's side) when he was 2. We were Guardians... (You remember that ceremony in Church that we think nothing of...)

Parents were "World-Class" Skydivers in 1981 (Jayne Marchant represented the USA in the World meets (only civilian woman on the team); Scot Haslam was in the top 100 world-wide, but was a pilot for the planes.

Bad plane crash in Rocky Mount, NC. (1983), both were lost. I adopted a second Toddler (20 mths old) ... Picture below shows him ruining my TOOLS!

Just received a message from him that bad news is impending... he was the Go-Pro Photographer on a jump that went bad. No pictures yet, but he's safe. Hope none of his video goes viral.

Midwest Skydiving out of the Wisconsin/Chicago area??? Chis is in Chicago in Graduate School and works as a Photographer and parachute packer for $.

G'day Mark,

I just saw this thread and I'm glad to know your Son is OK.

When someone say that, a skydiving jump went wrong, the hairs in my back raise up like needles, so many different things those words can mean, and normally in a skydiving jump, when things go wrong, someone always gets hurt, the one way or the other, I should know, that how I broke my spine at 19 years of age, spending few years in a wheel-chair...!

What amazes me most is that, this young man's parents, both died because they were skydivers and of great skill, I'm told however, skill not always mean a think when your time is up so, it surprises me to see that, this young man (your son) wasn't afraid to confront head-on what endup killing his birth parents, it may be inherit, it happens all the time.

His job as a skydiver photographer, regardless if for $' or not, is a dangerous one, only very experience and skilled people are accepted for such jobs, maintaining its proximity without collision, is one of the big concerns, the ability to manoeuvre around the "object" to be photographed and maintain an eye on everything that surrounds him, not loosing sense of how fast the ground is approaching, is a big job on itself so, I'm please to know that, even though something went wrong with "a" jump, he is OK...!

I'm sure, you are the one to get the most stress out of what he is doing, huh...??? It would be expected to be that way, being young does "things" that we, being now older, thing ridiculous and unnecessary however, those of us that have been there, done that, know better, that's all part of growing up and maturity, only time changes those perceptions...!:)

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Glad to hear he is safe - sending a prayer of thanks for his safety and a prayer of hope & peace for all others I volved

Marko50

Close Call?

Mark, I recall this story from a PM you sent me about how you adopted your son. I too, am relieved to know all is well. Life is too short not to follow your dreams and your son is chasing a doozy! Apparently his skill level is such that he was able to quickly revert to some kind of an "ingrained by training" emergency mode? Whew!:)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I recall this story from a PM you sent me about how you adopted your son. I too, am relieved to know all is well. Life is too short not to follow your dreams and your son is chasing a doozy! Apparently his skill level is such that he was able to quickly revert to some kind of an "ingrained by training" emergency mode? Whew!:)

Apparently the plane had mechanical problems, overshot the runway and not everyone was able to deploy their chutes with enough clearance... Chris landed fine.

Just a hard few days for him as this was his parent's passion, and he is very fond of it as a 24 yr old (who knows no fear). We'll never discourage him, just support him... and worry (life of a parent).

He was actually using his mom's refurbished parachute which she used in 1986 (If I remember correctly) in Ankara, Turkey. Jayne was the only civilian Woman on the USA National Team. I have not talked to him at length yet, but how ironic if his mother's chute was of a more conservative design and saved him...

Practice Good Karma! Maybe I just got mine folks!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

G'day Mark,

I just saw this thread and I'm glad to know your Son is OK.

When someone say that, a skydiving jump went wrong, the hairs in my back raise up like needles, so many different things those words can mean, and normally in a skydiving jump, when things go wrong, someone always gets hurt, the one way or the other, I should know, that how I broke my spine at 19 years of age, spending few years in a wheel-chair...!

What amazes me most is that, this young man's parents, both died because they were skydivers and of great skill, I'm told however, skill not always mean a think when your time is up so, it surprises me to see that, this young man (your son) wasn't afraid to confront head-on what endup killing his birth parents, it may be inherit, it happens all the time.

His job as a skydiver photographer, regardless if for $' or not, is a dangerous one, only very experience and skilled people are accepted for such jobs, maintaining its proximity without collision, is one of the big concerns, the ability to manoeuvre around the "object" to be photographed and maintain an eye on everything that surrounds him, not loosing sense of how fast the ground is approaching, is a big job on itself so, I'm please to know that, even though something went wrong with "a" jump, he is OK...!

I'm sure, you are the one to get the most stress out of what he is doing, huh...??? It would be expected to be that way, being young does "things" that we, being now older, thing ridiculous and unnecessary however, those of us that have been there, done that, know better, that's all part of growing up and maturity, only time changes those perceptions...!:)

Cheers
George

Thanks George. OK, so that explains some your health issues now; Skydiving.

The circumstances of Chris' parents was OVERCONFIDENCE!!!

Scot was a commercial pilot for Piedmont/US Air; had been the private Pilot for "Paul Harvey" (AKA, "They Rest of the Story"). (A radio commentator in the USA, George). And flew hundreds of Organ Transplant flights out of Chicago. Skills were fine, but no fear I suspect "I can handle what comes."
They were the only 2 in the plane, going to a sky dive competition in Washington, DC.

He and Jayne were in a private plane and they headed in to a bad storm/fog (knowingly )over the Adirondick Mts. And they were flying "On Instruments."
(no radar?) Never had the desire to investigate the specifics.

Marko50 can clarify, but I believe that simply is not good/proper.

To all above, thanks for the kind thoughts!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Glad he is ok. I used to jump at Greene County near Xenia many moons ago.

Hi: Did you ever jump with Jayne and Scot???

It's possible, that was around the time I was jumping. I made around 80 jumps.

Let me see... They both were students at Ohio State, Scot flew the Jump Plane at Xenia/Green County. I'd say 1977-1980... Anyway, Chris went to Green County for his classes... Let's just say a "Haslam Son" walking in 30 years later blew Jim (owner of the airfield) away... In 83' Green County did a tribute at the funeral...

What a nice coincidence. Thanks for responding, Chris will get a real kick!

CrimsonKeel

Flying on instruments just means that they were using radar, gps, speed and all that stuff to fly the plane. my dad has a plane and he is Visual flight trained and that means he has to be able to see to fly. so no going through fog or clouds or bad weather. he says he can fly by the instruments but doesnt have the license to do it legally.

Im glad your son is OK and prayers to the rest of the families of any that were hurt

Top Bottom