My mother in law thinks I am crazy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

My mother in law is crazy for Christmas, and as far as I am concerned don't worry about me, worry about the kids. (and not her 38 year old son that lives at home with no job) Well anyways every year my wife asks me what I want her mother to get me. Most of the time I don't give real answers, so I get one of my favorite teams shirts/jacket/hoodie/ something like that. Some odds and ends. Well this year I decided to give her the things that I use in penturning. So I showed my wife the Powder-free gloves, Epoxy from lowes, CA glue and penturners sandpaper from Woodcraft.

The response I got, well these are not Christmas gifts.....

You all have anything that you get crazy looks for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

About 30 years ago, I asked for a solid grey color tie to go with a sports jacket that I had. Still waiting.
Ask for a gift card to Woodcraft, PSI, Rockler, etc.

edicehouse

The problem is that is too easy for her, she would rather get me the wrong thing, so I can spend more time waiting to exchange it and get what I need.

At least it isn't like my grandmother, she will get me shirts, however I am 6' tall and 240 lbs I don't think anything large would fit me LOL.

BeeAMaker

when I was a kid I always told my parents what I wanted and never got anything i asked for. I use to tell my wife what I wanted and rarely got what I asked for. So I started telling my wife what I don't want, I don't want clothes and I don't want useless junk. So naturally I started getting clothes and useless junk. :cool:

I'm older now and have had a good life. Now when someone asked me what I want for Christmas I tell them this:
"I'm lucky enough to have all that I need and fortunate enough to get what I want on my own. So use the money you would spend on me to buy yourself something you want and that's my gift to you."
It might sound a bit "scroogey" but very few times have I received a heart felt or well thought out gift that didn't end up in the trash. Most people buy gifts just because they think they have to.

Last year I received a gift from my sister that was just a small wooden box with a slide open lid. Inside was a note that simply thanked me for being her little brother - Best gift ever!

I'm making everyone's presents this year. So if they pitch it it only cost me an hour or so of my time Instead of an hour or so of shopping plus $100+ dollars plus half a tank of gas plus aggravation of crowded malls. :eek:

P.S. I still get clothes and useless junk. :biggrin:

edicehouse

when I was a kid I always told my parents what I wanted and never got anything i asked for. I use to tell my wife what I wanted and rarely got what I asked for. So I started telling my wife what I don't want, I don't want clothes and I don't want useless junk. So naturally I started getting clothes and useless junk. :cool:

I'm older now and have had a good life. Now when someone asked me what I want for Christmas I tell them this:
"I'm lucky enough to have all that I need and fortunate enough to get what I want on my own. So use the money you would spend on me to buy yourself something you want and that's my gift to you."
It might sound a bit "scroogey" but very few times have I received a heart felt or well thought out gift that didn't end up in the trash. Most people buy gifts just because they think they have to.

Last year I received a gift from my sister that was just a small wooden box with a slide open lid. Inside was a note that simply thanked me for being her little brother - Best gift ever!

I'm making everyone's presents this year. So if they pitch it it only cost me an hour or so of my time Instead of an hour or so of shopping plus $100+ dollars plus half a tank of gas plus aggravation of crowded malls. :eek:

P.S. I still get clothes and useless junk. :biggrin:

My youngest daughter Marley (8) is great at getting things for me with meaning. I guess she was about 4 and I was running a football pool, and would highlight wins, so every Sunday I am trying to find a highlighter. So she took her money and went to the dollar store and got me a 4 pack of them. Another year her school does a thing where they sell stuff, and she got me a ball point pen in camo that says #1 dad, another year she got me a NY Mets and NY Giants sticker. One day she will understand why I never opened them, or put them on my truck.

magpens

Well .... it sounds like this problem is universal ....

I can read my own experiences into lots of the posts above ....

Noot17

I can't think of any crazy looks yet, but I definitely get the blank stare when I ask for something like a 5/8" V Bowl Gouge or 3/4" Skew for Christmas. The response is usually "Just send me a link to what you want..." :)

stonepecker

In truth, there is nothing I need. Told the wife and kids I have more then enough 'things' to play with. Will I get somethings, Yes! But this year I made sure that everyone else got something they really wanted.

We have made most of the gifts for everyone. It is more fun and a lot more special to all. Then the best fun is watching them get opened.

Happy Holidays to all.

crokett

Reading this thread, I'm reminded how fortunate I am. I ask my wife what she wants for Christmas. She gives me a list. I get what's on the list and she's perfectly happy. Overjoyed even. the first few years I felt weirdly guilty, like that was too easy. I've gotten over that. I do get 1 or 2 things that aren't on her list, or I make her something.

robutacion

Looking at your thread title, one thing come to mind and you want to know what that was...??? if the answer is yes, highlight what is said after this star (*) I'm not your mother in law and I also think you're crazy...!:eek::biggrin::wink:

Kenny Durrant

My Mother in Law always insists on everyone giving her a list of things they want. That was easy for me because I'd give her phone numbers with the item numbers of the pen kits and such I would like. My son would ask and I started telling him a few years ago all I wanted was some of his time. He works in the sports field so he always bouncing around and with my not liking to make long trips it's getting harder and harder to see family. Now I'd rather get together to visit or hang out depending on how old you are. In a couple of months I'll be retiring so maybe it won't be so bad having to get somewhere and back home to et to work on Monday.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sometimes we might need to back up and give our mother in law a little credit for being smart, or rather perceptive. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, I get those looks too, and my 89 year old MIL is visiting with us as I write. :eek:

jennera

Rebecca asked for "wood" for Christmas. Now her dad, grandpa, and I get it but not many other people do.

Thankfully, she has found some great friends that make knives, jewelry, and other things and they do understand when she geeks out over a nice burl or figured grain wood.

Once they see her pens they really understand!

My dad always asked for some woodworking tool for Christmas and I was always happy to get it for him. It usually was being used to make some piece of furniture for me or something for my kids. This year he is getting a few pen kits and bushings to try. Although he taught Rebecca and helped her turn her first pen, he did not realize how much the market had grown since he turned a few pens for Christmas gifts 20 years ago! He is legally blind now due to glaucoma but is still making beautiful furniture for friends and family. He just does not do as much turning as he used to.

Jennifer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom