My latest stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

I think all but 2 of these are unpublished (pics). They are, from left to right: Scrap Red Palm, Tulipwood, Manzanita burl (will get a Delaware quarter in top, when I find a good one), Kingwood, Red Cedar Burl with sapwood, Holly with bark and 2 attempted burn lines, and the last two are from one piece of spalted oak.

The white stuff in the tulipwood and the bare spot on the kingwood are glare from the window. The spalted oak on the end has worm holes in it and was my first successful patch, with thick CA and saw dust. I like its shape best. It is a stretched out version of the kingwood. My favorite wood is the manzanita burl though. I've been practising making rounder globes. Thanks for looking.

200632161921_DSCN2156-1.jpg

200632161938_DSCN2158-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkoehler

those are a really nice bunch of stoppers. it looks like you have fun making them.
i have just started making them. i find them lots of fun because the "sky is the limit" with what you can do.
i have found that you can even screw up and make them look good.
once again. nice set. it gives me some more ideas for more shapes.

Thumbs

Very Nicely done, Rob![:0] I have to wonder how many bottles you have open at one time though?[}:)] And of WHAT![:p] LOL!

JimGo

Those look great Rob! I've just done my first batch of stoppers, and will be starting more soon. I may borrow some of your designs!

BigRob777

Bob,
I'll never tell. Actually, we don't drink. It isn't that I have anything against a glass of wine, but my wife reacts to sulfites. These will be sold (some of them at least) in craft shows, along with my pens, if I can ever keep them in stock.

Jeff,
You nailed it. I love the versatility of the art. I mess up most of them, then fix it and it turns out even nicer than what I had planned. I just start turning, without any preconceived idea of what I am shaping. You also don't have to glue up tubes.[:D]

I just pick up a chunk of wood, drill it and turn it. I love that. It fits my expulsive personality (type Z, aka Oscar, not Felix). Have fun. Use any shapes you want from these, that's what I plan to do, as I'm kind of out of ideas. The rounds are easier for me now, but the concaves are a challenge. I need to find out the right way to do it. I just pivot a flat skew, which I use like a scraper. I know it isn't what the tool was made for, but I really don't care. That's how I learned to turn my first works. I'm still trying to get the oval skew methods down. I blew out a cross-cut zebra baron yesterday, using the flat skew to clean up. Arrrrrgggghhhh!!! I had it almost all of the way to the bushings too. It was my first with either (x-cut zebra and a baron). I'll probably do a brown mallee instead, when it dries.

Jim,
Go for it. I just love it. I'm ready for some serious pens now, though.

Note: End of book[:I]
Rob

BigRob777

Thanks guys,
I seldom find scraps this big, but the palm wasn't good enough to sell and the oak had worms. Not all are scraps.
Rob

EDIT: Actually, the holly and the red cedar burl are scraps too.

woodwish

A few years ago I gave most of my in-laws wine stoppers and a bottle of local wine for Chistmas. My sister-in-law makes a big deal out of not drinking so she didn't get a set. She complained forever about it and got on my nerves. Being the smart aleck that I am, the next year I made what looked like a wine stopper body glued to a milk jug cap. Now she has a custom turned walnut milk jug stopper, and she still gets on nerves.[;)]

BigRob777

Ray,
Isn't that what in-laws are for?

Michael,
Stop working and have some fun. Look who's talking, right?! Anyway, we're slowly putting together a picnic at my place. There will be door prizes (for everyone, you know me). BTW, I have a ton of holly.[:D]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom