My first try at these.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I figured Christmas is coming so I thought I'd try my hand at some ornaments. Still trying to get the hang of hollowing through a 1/2" hole though.
These are in the order I turned them.
First is some scrap from the "grab bag" which I think is olive and it has walnut finials.
20051027233538_1st_ornament-1.jpg

Both of these are Sapelle with maple finials.
20051027233723_2nd_ornament-1.jpg

20051027233737_3rd-ornament-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Thanks Billy, top one is about 2.5" and the others are just under 2". I got some blanks from bigrob that are right at 2" square by 12" long, and I'm using pen blanks for finials. I got lots of domestic wood for that. I'll use some better stuff as I get better at it.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks everyone.
The suspected olive is definately my favorite also. I was using the others more for practice. I am working on a few maple burl ornaments right now. Well one ornament and one bell which was an ornament until the inside got bigger than the outside [8)]. But they are starting to turn out a bit better, by next year I ought to be pretty good at it. [:D]

BigRob777

Kevin,
I don't want to sound redundant, as I've responded to your other two posts, but this is very nice work. Unfortunately, my favorite here is the olive, though I didn't provide it. Very nice job capturing the curl and depth. I also like the off-rounds best. That first shape is very unique and I like it.

Are these Christmas presents? I might have to try to slip one or two in for our tree. Are they too heavy to hang on a tree? If so, then maybe some flame box elder would be good (I wish I had some big blocks of it).

Keep it up.
Rob

dubdrvrkev

Thanks Rob! Some are gifts and some I hope to sell to recover some costs.
I'm not so sure the olive is olive, it was brought to my attention that it was probably cherry crotch. I just thought of olive because of the curl and the odor but I had never turned cherry but I hear it has some odor also.
They are hollow so the weight is kept down. The heaviest one seemed to hang okay on a little tree in my house, so they should be fine for a Christmas tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom