My first named piece...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Iapetus...
This happened completely by accident. I was roughing out the bowl, and I had to do it in portions, due to lathe and tool rest size limitations. Anyway, halfway through, there was a bulge, and I liked it, so I figured I'd see where it went. After a few mutations and changes, this came out of this beautiful log of Cherry I got from doghouse. Iapetus is a moon of saturn that has a bulging ridge right around the equator...

20051023235526_iapetusweb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Dave,
Great looking bowl. I really like the name as well and may borrow it.

BigRob777

Dave,
One of these days, I will get around to turning my first bowl. I have enough blanks to last me a year. Good work. I have never seen a bowl with a mid-life bulge. Have you seen those turnings that have the ring turned completely and it hangs on, unable to move off of either end? That's a little of what this reminds me of. What finish is that? It is nice. How does hickory turn? I have some huge bowl blanks from hickory (14" dia. and 5" high, rough split. I cut my teeth on cherry (turning it). Lots of free stuff from our new church building project.
Rob

Woodnknots

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Dave,
One of these days, I will get around to turning my first bowl. I have enough blanks to last me a year. Good work. I have never seen a bowl with a mid-life bulge. Have you seen those turnings that have the ring turned completely and it hangs on, unable to move off of either end? That's a little of what this reminds me of. What finish is that? It is nice. How does hickory turn? I have some huge bowl blanks from hickory (14" dia. and 5" high, rough split. I cut my teeth on cherry (turning it). Lots of free stuff from our new church building project.
Rob
It's funny you mention the mid-life bulge, because the first name that went through my mind was "spare-tire", then "middle age". My wife thought that neither of them were fitting for it, so I came up with Iapetus. As far as the finish, I used Nelsonite to stabilize it, then wipe-on poly.
I've turned a little hickory, and so far, and it's not bad for turning. Never turned anything bigger than about 5" square, though.
Thanks for the nice comments!!

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />That's what makes turning wood unique. Each piece is individual. As for me and bowls, I haven't conquered that technique yet. Have four bowl gouges and all they do (for me) is catch. Nice job.
I learned a lesson about bowl gouges from doghouse. He puts a sort of rounded point on the end of his deep flute bowl gouges. He ground my bevel for me, and I've been able to maintain it so far. Before the new grind, mine always seemed to catch as well. I only have one bowl gouge, wish I had four. I need a bigger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom