My first 3 stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRob777

Here are my first three stoppers. The first is tulipwood. The 2nd I turned yesterday, was my first attempt at turning a laminated project. The woods are mahogany at the core and Congo Padauk outside. The third, I did today, out of cherry burl scraps. It was some pretty hard wood too. I had fun doing the scooped out top.

Thanks for looking,
Rob
200512233101_DSCN1942.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Thanks guys,
I would typically like more contrast, at least in the colors, but also in depth, but it is for my father-in-law and he isn't an expressive guy. I enjoyed the middle stopper the most.
Rob

BigRob777

Pete,
Go for it. It is the simplest type of lamination, I think and it still comes out nice. I never thought I could make something like this and it turns out to be very simple. I think that if I were doing it for myself, I would not use mahogany. I have so many different woods to choose from. I wish I had a good enough back to play with this stuff all day. It was fun.
Have fun. I got the stopper kits from woodturningz, when they were on sale for $2.00 each, when you buy 10 (I think). Not a bad price.
Rob

BigRob777

Mark,
I love turning and finishing them, but they aren't as useable as pens and pencils. It gives me a chance to make a larger variety of shapes, but I'm not giving up turning pens. I sold a lot of turning squares this past two months, mostly for Christmas ornaments, but quite a few for stoppers. This hobby leaves me with lots of scraps to play with too.

I tried my first bowl yesterday and man was it ever rough. It cracked in 3 places, because I used wood that I had tried to force-spalt (before I realized that wood has to be green to use for that purpose). I just joined AAW and am going to my first meeting with Dan, a fellow penturner from my area.

Stoppers and bowls leave a lot more chips to clean up too. When I move indoors, I can't use a leaf blower to clean my shop anymore.[:(]
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom