At my desk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

I recently accepted another job, and my currently employee wants to keep me. They asked how much the other place was offering, and I told them I prefer not to say. So they have been running around to get an offer. Currently my last day is this Friday.

I did tell them what it would take for me to consider staying, and the bosses (up to 3 tiers ahead of me) seem to feel good about it. Basically I am figuring a 5 digit raise.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Are you sure the increase is 5 digits ? . Does that encompass both dollars and cents :biggrin: ?

Hmmmm .... better grab it now before the tax "cut" gets implemented !!!

Jim Smith

Congratulations! It's nice to be wanted enough to have the senior managers work towards meeting your demands. That said, whenever that happened to me and they met my demands, I always felt a bit like they had been short-changing me before, since they knew what I was worth to them but only agreed to pay it when I was preparing to leave. Typically, I would only leave a secure position in the same/similar field for a minimum of 15% to 20% increase over my current compensation package. I am retired now and have my own consulting business so it nice to not have to deal with HR and the political BS that comes with corporate America, especially if you're in upper management. I'm glad that you're getting a raise that is more commensurate with the value you bring to your company.

Jim Smith

Lucky2

Congrats on the impending raise in income, that's a major pay increase. So what are you going to do,stay put or move on? What type of work is it that you do, and how come they can afford to pay you so much more now? Do you feel as if, they've been under paying you all along? It's surprising that they can now pay you, close to what the other company offered. What wiil the possible new employer, think of you going back on the job they offered you? Have you made your final decision, what job will you take?
Len

Rounder

My last job change the company I was with tried to offer me more money and benefits to stay. My response was where was this money before? And I already shook another man's hand and told them I was going to work for him. Can't back out once I shake a hand.

edicehouse

I am going from "Scheduler" to "Senior Scheduler", which I have been doing more than the "Seniors" at work. So I am staying. I agree with you rounder but when the difference between what the new company offered and my current one is almost 10K. I know the other one will not even come close. I was leaving for purely financial reasons. I like where I currently am, and am one of the leaders. Some of the Senior Schedulers would joke, when I am training them that you're not even a Senior.... I would say I am not be a Senior but at least I am considered a Lead Scheduler.... They would not comment too much after that.

robutacion

Well, you should be good at what you do, bosses always try to pay as less as possible and when situations like these occur, the results can go either way, what I mean is, the price you put on your own head can be a huge one and even if the boss accepts it, it may not be worth it why...? because if you developed the feeling that you don't like the "place" in its entirety, no amount of money will change that, it may look ok in the beginning but won't take long for you to feel trapped and not so happy. Moving to a different location and a number of different circumstances can give you what money does not, however, a "little" extra money comes in handy.:biggrin:

Let's see where you endup...!

PS: Does the new job with better pay give you the extra time you spend on the web/IAP under job time...?:wink:

Cheers
George

Rounder

I am going from "Scheduler" to "Senior Scheduler", which I have been doing more than the "Seniors" at work. So I am staying. I agree with you rounder but when the difference between what the new company offered and my current one is almost 10K. I know the other one will not even come close. I was leaving for purely financial reasons. I like where I currently am, and am one of the leaders. Some of the Senior Schedulers would joke, when I am training them that you're not even a Senior.... I would say I am not be a Senior but at least I am considered a Lead Scheduler.... They would not comment too much after that.

Hey, you have to do what is best for the family. It just turned out that my move was better overall even at a little less money. Glad that you enjoy where you are at AND are getting bigger bucks. Sounds out like it worked out really good for you. Congrats!!!:wink:

edicehouse

Well, you should be good at what you do, bosses always try to pay as less as possible and when situations like these occur, the results can go either way, what I mean is, the price you put on your own head can be a huge one and even if the boss accepts it, it may not be worth it why...? because if you developed the feeling that you don't like the "place" in its entirety, no amount of money will change that, it may look ok in the beginning but won't take long for you to feel trapped and not so happy. Moving to a different location and a number of different circumstances can give you what money does not, however, a "little" extra money comes in handy.:biggrin:

Let's see where you endup...!

PS: Does the new job with better pay give you the extra time you spend on the web/IAP under job time...?:wink:

Cheers
George

Basically my "title" is catching up to the work I do. My responsibilities will not change.

I was supposed to go take the tests for the new job this week, however I have been so busy with work I hadn't had time. For some reason I have never been one to go on shortimeritis.

I enjoy where I am, the people I work with, so I didn't want to leave. I have been here for just over a year as employee and before that a year and some change as a "temp".

I actually think one of the things I do that takes basically half my Tuesday and most of my Wednesday may be transferred to someone else.

Top Bottom