At my desk - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default At my desk

I recently accepted another job, and my currently employee wants to keep me. They asked how much the other place was offering, and I told them I prefer not to say. So they have been running around to get an offer. Currently my last day is this Friday.

I did tell them what it would take for me to consider staying, and the bosses (up to 3 tiers ahead of me) seem to feel good about it. Basically I am figuring a 5 digit raise.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 4

5 digit increase in salary. wow! Think of all the blanks that will buy!

Congratulations!
Talltim is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Are you sure the increase is 5 digits ? . Does that encompass both dollars and cents ?

Hmmmm .... better grab it now before the tax "cut" gets implemented !!!

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Congratulations! It's nice to be wanted enough to have the senior managers work towards meeting your demands. That said, whenever that happened to me and they met my demands, I always felt a bit like they had been short-changing me before, since they knew what I was worth to them but only agreed to pay it when I was preparing to leave. Typically, I would only leave a secure position in the same/similar field for a minimum of 15% to 20% increase over my current compensation package. I am retired now and have my own consulting business so it nice to not have to deal with HR and the political BS that comes with corporate America, especially if you're in upper management. I'm glad that you're getting a raise that is more commensurate with the value you bring to your company.

Jim Smith
Jim Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on the impending raise in income, that's a major pay increase. So what are you going to do,stay put or move on? What type of work is it that you do, and how come they can afford to pay you so much more now? Do you feel as if, they've been under paying you all along? It's surprising that they can now pay you, close to what the other company offered. What wiil the possible new employer, think of you going back on the job they offered you? Have you made your final decision, what job will you take?
Len
Lucky2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

My last job change the company I was with tried to offer me more money and benefits to stay. My response was where was this money before? And I already shook another man's hand and told them I was going to work for him. Can't back out once I shake a hand.

"WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THEIR GOVERNMENT, THERE IS TYRANNY. WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE, THERE IS LIBERTY." Thomas Jefferson

Self Pity. I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. D. H. Lawrence
Rounder is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am going from "Scheduler" to "Senior Scheduler", which I have been doing more than the "Seniors" at work. So I am staying. I agree with you rounder but when the difference between what the new company offered and my current one is almost 10K. I know the other one will not even come close. I was leaving for purely financial reasons. I like where I currently am, and am one of the leaders. Some of the Senior Schedulers would joke, when I am training them that you're not even a Senior.... I would say I am not be a Senior but at least I am considered a Lead Scheduler.... They would not comment too much after that.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Sounds like a good raise. Do you know that I am up for adoption? Plus, I am potty trained.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Looks like the ball is in your court. Talking from experience, the grass is not also "greener" on the other side.

Im sure you will make the right choice.
gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Good for you !
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads