My Bash Prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I was extremely fortunate to win a number of prizes in this year's BASH. Here's the list:
1st Place Frilly Ugly Pen -- Box of Blanks and Kits from blade.white (James White)
2nd Place Butt Ugly Pen -- Box of Blanks from Cmiles1985 (Clark Miles)
2nd Place Match The Pen -- Prize Pack from Bear Tooth Woods, Resin from Alumilite and a Box of Blanks from Southernclay (Warren Welch)
3rd Place Shop Life Photo -- Box of Blanks and Kits from Mark James and a Box of Blanks from GaryMGg (Gary Greenburg)
Donation Drawing -- Snake skin blanks from Its_virgil (Don Ward)
Auction -- $100 Gift Certificate from Exotic Blanks

I want to publicly thank all of the vendors and IAP members for their generous donations to this year's BASH, with special thanks to all those listed above.

I will post photos and descriptions of all my winnings in this thread along with photos of some things that I make from them.

Edgar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmyshrall

Camphor wood and boat load of prizes! 2015 is shaping up to be a good year for you! I am so jealous, especially since all I have to turn is cow patties here in SD. Could you donate some of that Camphor wood to cover up the smell? And maybe a random stick or two for something different? It gets so boring casting prairie grass over and over again!

Derek,

If you will PM your address, I will be happy to send you the stick that my border collie was mangling last night. :biggrin: I also think that I have a piece of 2x4 that I can throw in as well. Glad to see you are on the right side of the grass; you have been so quiet lately. I was starting to worry... :laugh:

Michael

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Box of Blanks and Kits from blade.white

For winning 1st Place in the Frilly Ugly Pen contest, I received a Box of Blanks and Kits from blade.white (James White). The prize was valued at $50, but as you can tell from the photos and descriptions below, this prize is worth several times that amount. James is in the US Army and is currently stationed in Korea, which is relevant to this post.

The first photo shows the MFRB that I received from James - it was crammed full with 67 pen blanks, 20 pen kits and 1 very special gift. The pen kits included a few slimlines, a number of Smitty's LeRoi kits and several Berea and PSI kits that I have never tried yet. These kits alone are worth much more than the stated prize value.

The second photo shows the pile of blanks along with the mystery box from the bottom of the MFRB.

The third photo shows the blanks spread out with the contents of the mystery box sitting on top of them. About half of the blanks are wood - several of which I have never turned before like Afromosia, Tambooti, Wild Pear and Desert Ironwood.

The non-wood blanks includes some Italian Lucite blanks from Classic Nib and a number of blanks from Exotic Blanks (including an Alternate Casein blank and a Smokey Quartz blank). I don't know the source of the other blanks, but they are all just gorgeous! I'm having a hard time trying to decide which one I want to turn first.

The remaining photos show the special gift from James. It's a commemorative shadowbox containing a piece of barbed wire from the DMZ. This one is a Special Edition from 2011 - there have been several editions since the 50th anniversary of the Korean War in 2003, each with its own depiction of a map of Korea. This one shows the stark difference in nighttime lighting between North and South Korea.

You can find these commemorative shadowboxes on line, but to receive one from someone who is actually stationed in Korea is truly special. It is now hanging in a prominent place in my office, right above my PE license.

Who would have ever thought that a silly pen made from few wine corks, some duct tape & a couple of Fruit Loops could earn something this wonderful.

Thanks again James - you truly went way over the top with this prize. Words cannot express my gratitude.

Edgar

Attachments

• IMG_5975.jpg
    IMG_5975.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5977.jpg
    IMG_5977.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5980.jpg
    IMG_5980.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5982.jpg
    IMG_5982.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 127
  • WallHangings1.jpg
    WallHangings1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 117
  • WallHangings2.jpg
    WallHangings2.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 106

Fay Prozora

Great looking bunch of blanks Edgar. That will keep you busy for a long time and that framed item looks great on the wall. It is some to be proud of. Great job on the bash. I don't understand how that works so I don't enter any of the contests. I think the best I would enter is the ugly pen contest as a good deal of mine are plenty ugly... LOL! Have fun with those blanks Fay

plantman

Ed; It's a good thing you have that big storage shed you call a shop. Now you can display all your loot and finds on the walls. Congrats on your windfalls and prizes. Jim S

Top Bottom