Mug Time! - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 66

Paid. Thanks Jeff.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
Done....
I'll wait in tomorrow so I don't miss the mail man.....

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to miss future mugs as it is now just a bit too steep. Over $60 for a shipped mug plus import duty plus handling charge.....pity, but I understand the reasoning.
Handling charge?
When an international parcel arrives in the UK it may ( most often ) be subject to import tax. Around 20%. The handling charge ...around 12 is from the delivery company....either Parcel Force or Royal Mail.....( two sections of the UK Post Office ) for recovering that charge and delivering the charge notice. We then go to the depot and pay the charges before receiving the goods.

This is one of the reasons why there are less and less international pen swaps. The maker puts a 'value' to the pen and the recipient then has to pay duty on that value. The kicker is that the charge is also based on the Total value. So if an item was valued at say $35 plus $25 for shipping then we get charged on the $60 for duty and then the handling fee on top. All adds up to an expensive item.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff View Post
Quote:
Done....
I'll wait in tomorrow so I don't miss the mail man.....

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to miss future mugs as it is now just a bit too steep. Over $60 for a shipped mug plus import duty plus handling charge.....pity, but I understand the reasoning.
Handling charge?
When an international parcel arrives in the UK it may ( most often ) be subject to import tax. Around 20%. The handling charge ...around 12 is from the delivery company....either Parcel Force or Royal Mail.....( two sections of the UK Post Office ) for recovering that charge and delivering the charge notice. We then go to the depot and pay the charges before receiving the goods.

This is one of the reasons why there are less and less international pen swaps. The maker puts a 'value' to the pen and the recipient then has to pay duty on that value. The kicker is that the charge is also based on the Total value. So if an item was valued at say $35 plus $25 for shipping then we get charged on the $60 for duty and then the handling fee on top. All adds up to an expensive item.
I see the issue clearly now. If there's a solution to the problem, I'm all ears.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Sure Jeff, there are solutions or options. But you're gonna be sorry you asked !!

First is the common practice of asking the sender to put a lesser value to the item. I'm not keen on this as it's mail fraud.

Second option is to ask the sender to be a bit more realistic when putting a value to a pen, for instance. If we were to swap pens then perhaps the true cost is really just the kit. I have done a pen swap where the sender has put a ridiculous value to the pen. Cost me a fortune in the end.

Now, I love all my mugs... I have a full set of at least one of each. I also have a couple of special ones where I was lucky to get 'special' numbers. But to be honest, the only special numbers now are reserved for auction. Those are well outside my league. Now I believe an UNnumbered mug to be be more valuable to a random number. A cool hand made mug without any numbering is just that, a cool hand made mug. If it says xxx of 150 underneath then it isn't so unique anymore as there are another 149 around I chose 101 this year just for the humour factor (as in Room 101 )

I think I have around 15 or 16 mugs now. That is a fair amount of dosh in anyone's book. Bearing in mind that International members were encouraged to chip in a bit more for shipping too, when they were $50.

However, now when my new mug arrives, I take a pic of the whole group and then put the whole lot away in the bottom of a cabinet until the next one arrives. I have two of the original white ones ( my favourites ) that I use every day though.

The next option is to just get periodic or alternate years commemorative mugs.

Just for interests sake, how does this years international purchase compare to previous years?

Ok, apologies for the mini rant Jeff.
Sorry you asked yet??
Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 20

Got mine ordered with no problem. Had to add a goodie or 2
Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Order placed
Timber Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Worked like a charm. And thank you for the lower price.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

Photos: 58

Quote:
Sure Jeff, there are solutions or options. But you're gonna be sorry you asked !!

First is the common practice of asking the sender to put a lesser value to the item. I'm not keen on this as it's mail fraud.

Second option is to ask the sender to be a bit more realistic when putting a value to a pen, for instance. If we were to swap pens then perhaps the true cost is really just the kit. I have done a pen swap where the sender has put a ridiculous value to the pen. Cost me a fortune in the end.

Now, I love all my mugs... I have a full set of at least one of each. I also have a couple of special ones where I was lucky to get 'special' numbers. But to be honest, the only special numbers now are reserved for auction. Those are well outside my league. Now I believe an UNnumbered mug to be be more valuable to a random number. A cool hand made mug without any numbering is just that, a cool hand made mug. If it says xxx of 150 underneath then it isn't so unique anymore as there are another 149 around I chose 101 this year just for the humour factor (as in Room 101 )

I think I have around 15 or 16 mugs now. That is a fair amount of dosh in anyone's book. Bearing in mind that International members were encouraged to chip in a bit more for shipping too, when they were $50.

However, now when my new mug arrives, I take a pic of the whole group and then put the whole lot away in the bottom of a cabinet until the next one arrives. I have two of the original white ones ( my favourites ) that I use every day though.

The next option is to just get periodic or alternate years commemorative mugs.

Just for interests sake, how does this years international purchase compare to previous years?

Ok, apologies for the mini rant Jeff.
Sorry you asked yet??
I'm never sorry to get good input!

We typically have about 15 international shipments, and with 60 orders complete right now, we have 5, so pretty much on track.

I have previously used our cost as the value for international shipments, thinking that was an honest approach. That's not possible with the new cart, because it's all automated. At least I have not found a "value for customs purposes" field.

That's an interesting perspective on the numbered versus unnumbered mugs. Unnumbered would be vastly easier for me, so maybe I'll consider that next year.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 52

I like the idea of unnumbered mugs. I've never cared what number I get, so I always wait until the end to reserve, hopefully allowing the people that do care about numbers the chance to get the mug they want. Unnumbered mugs would be much less hassle, I think.

Penturning - Its basically taxidermy for trees.
D.Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #30 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Mug

Worked fine for me.

"It only costs a little bit more to do it yourself"
Gunnarkouper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads