Mug Time!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The 2018 Mug Sale is OPEN

PLEASE READ THE NOTES BELOW!

Of course, you'll also need some other goodies!
2018-IAP-Shirt-Proof.JPG sticker1-small.jpg patch.jpg sticker2017.jpg

https://shop.penturners.org

Important Notes!

There will be a drawing of some type at the end of the Bash for all mug purchasers. As discussed in this thread, mug sales are no longer subsidizing the drawing, allowing us to lower the price of the mugs to $35 plus shipping.

We switched to a Shopify cart this year, so bear with us if there is some kind of hiccup. The old cart didn't allow a separate shipping address, so now you can tell us exactly where to send your mug when you make the purchase.

You'll be asked for your IAP username during the checkout process, and that's how we'll get the correct number mug in the box.

I expect to begin shipping mugs sometime next week.

Thanks for supporting the IAP!

Attachments

• mug14-low.jpg
    mug14-low.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Folks, if you did not already reserve a mug, please do not order at this time.

I'll have to cancel your order if you do.

jennera

No problems ordering at all. Pen Goblin requested a shirt, a sticker for her car, and a patch for the letter jacket she hopes to get next year!

Thanks!

Mr Vic

Jeff,

Credit card worked fine but I think the site is wacko. It had all this other IAP Swag it forced me to purchase in order to get my mug.

Okay, I'm a sucker for IAP stuff.

Thanks for all your efforts..

stuckinohio

Good to go, though I'm bummed out about no pocket on the T-shirt. I know the majority of votes went to pocketless so I understand.

It's weird wearing a pen turning shirt and someone asking to see a pen but I can't show them one because there is no pocket....

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Done....
I'll wait in tomorrow so I don't miss the mail man.....:biggrin:

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to miss future mugs as it is now just a bit too steep. Over $60 for a shipped mug plus import duty plus handling charge.....pity, but I understand the reasoning.:wink:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Done....

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to miss future mugs as it is now just a bit too steep. Over $60 for a shipped mug plus import duty plus handling charge.....pity, but I understand the reasoning.:wink:

Handling charge?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Done....

Handling charge?

When an international parcel arrives in the UK it may ( most often ) be subject to import tax. Around 20%. The handling charge ...around ÂŁ12 is from the delivery company....either Parcel Force or Royal Mail.....( two sections of the UK Post Office ) for recovering that charge and delivering the charge notice. We then go to the depot and pay the charges before receiving the goods.

This is one of the reasons why there are less and less international pen swaps. The maker puts a 'value' to the pen and the recipient then has to pay duty on that value. The kicker is that the charge is also based on the Total value. So if an item was valued at say $35 plus $25 for shipping then we get charged on the $60 for duty and then the handling fee on top. All adds up to an expensive item. :wink:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Done....

Handling charge?

When an international parcel arrives in the UK it may ( most often ) be subject to import tax. Around 20%. The handling charge ...around ÂŁ12 is from the delivery company....either Parcel Force or Royal Mail.....( two sections of the UK Post Office ) for recovering that charge and delivering the charge notice. We then go to the depot and pay the charges before receiving the goods.

This is one of the reasons why there are less and less international pen swaps. The maker puts a 'value' to the pen and the recipient then has to pay duty on that value. The kicker is that the charge is also based on the Total value. So if an item was valued at say $35 plus $25 for shipping then we get charged on the $60 for duty and then the handling fee on top. All adds up to an expensive item. :wink:

I see the issue clearly now. If there's a solution to the problem, I'm all ears.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sure Jeff, there are solutions or options.:wink: But you're gonna be sorry you asked !!:biggrin:

First is the common practice of asking the sender to put a lesser value to the item. I'm not keen on this as it's mail fraud.

Second option is to ask the sender to be a bit more realistic when putting a value to a pen, for instance. If we were to swap pens then perhaps the true cost is really just the kit. I have done a pen swap where the sender has put a ridiculous value to the pen. Cost me a fortune in the end.

Now, I love all my mugs... I have a full set of at least one of each. I also have a couple of special ones where I was lucky to get 'special' numbers. But to be honest, the only special numbers now are reserved for auction. Those are well outside my league. Now I believe an UNnumbered mug to be be more valuable to a random number. A cool hand made mug without any numbering is just that, a cool hand made mug. If it says xxx of 150 underneath then it isn't so unique anymore as there are another 149 around:biggrin: I chose 101 this year just for the humour factor (as in Room 101:wink: )

I think I have around 15 or 16 mugs now. That is a fair amount of dosh in anyone's book. Bearing in mind that International members were encouraged to chip in a bit more for shipping too, when they were $50. :wink:

However, now when my new mug arrives, I take a pic of the whole group and then put the whole lot away in the bottom of a cabinet until the next one arrives. I have two of the original white ones ( my favourites ) that I use every day though. :biggrin:

The next option is to just get periodic or alternate years commemorative mugs. :frown:

Just for interests sake, how does this years international purchase compare to previous years?

Ok, apologies for the mini rant Jeff. :redface:
Sorry you asked yet??:tongue:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Sure Jeff, there are solutions or options.:wink: But you're gonna be sorry you asked !!:biggrin:

First is the common practice of asking the sender to put a lesser value to the item. I'm not keen on this as it's mail fraud.

Second option is to ask the sender to be a bit more realistic when putting a value to a pen, for instance. If we were to swap pens then perhaps the true cost is really just the kit. I have done a pen swap where the sender has put a ridiculous value to the pen. Cost me a fortune in the end.

Now, I love all my mugs... I have a full set of at least one of each. I also have a couple of special ones where I was lucky to get 'special' numbers. But to be honest, the only special numbers now are reserved for auction. Those are well outside my league. Now I believe an UNnumbered mug to be be more valuable to a random number. A cool hand made mug without any numbering is just that, a cool hand made mug. If it says xxx of 150 underneath then it isn't so unique anymore as there are another 149 around:biggrin: I chose 101 this year just for the humour factor (as in Room 101:wink: )

I think I have around 15 or 16 mugs now. That is a fair amount of dosh in anyone's book. Bearing in mind that International members were encouraged to chip in a bit more for shipping too, when they were $50. :wink:

However, now when my new mug arrives, I take a pic of the whole group and then put the whole lot away in the bottom of a cabinet until the next one arrives. I have two of the original white ones ( my favourites ) that I use every day though. :biggrin:

The next option is to just get periodic or alternate years commemorative mugs. :frown:

Just for interests sake, how does this years international purchase compare to previous years?

Ok, apologies for the mini rant Jeff. :redface:
Sorry you asked yet??:tongue:

I'm never sorry to get good input!

We typically have about 15 international shipments, and with 60 orders complete right now, we have 5, so pretty much on track.

I have previously used our cost as the value for international shipments, thinking that was an honest approach. That's not possible with the new cart, because it's all automated. At least I have not found a "value for customs purposes" field.

That's an interesting perspective on the numbered versus unnumbered mugs. Unnumbered would be vastly easier for me, so maybe I'll consider that next year.

Burb

I ordered my swag. Also, since I wasn't familiar wot( your shirts, I ordered 3XL. I usually wear 2XL, except for Amazon shirts high shrink so 8 go 3XL. I'll take whichever you think is right. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom