MPG 2015 Demonstrators needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

You'll probably see me make this appeal a couple of times. We will need several people to volunteer to share their skills with the group. It can be as short as 20 minutes with a few minutes for questions, or as long as 45 minutes with time for questions. By asking early, I hope to give you plenty of time to prepare. It will also help our attendance if we can get the list of demonstrations out early as Mark Dreyer has volunteered to work up a web site for us. We'll need a couple of demos for Friday afternoon, and all day Saturday.

Volunteers so far; Wishman (Chris)- threading, bobjackson- upgrading refills to improve sales

A couple of people made suggestions to me last year, so let me know if you still want to demo, hint Kenny Mayes?

Ideas for anyone that can demo their skills in; TBC, Alternate wood finishes to CA, laser engraving (I can do half this, but would like someone with a newer low cost (Chinese machine) to share, inlays, tool making, dyes, stone, making casting molds, photography, pyrography, recovering from or saves from mistakes, decals, realistic cigar pens, back painting resin blanks, leather blanks, postage stamp blank, custom slim lines, drilling and truing blanks, etc.... Give anyone an idea? PLEASE!

I'll open this post up to suggestions, from those planning on attending, for things you want to see as well. Maybe that will jog someone's interest.

Thanks, Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd be happy to do a demo, Rich. Possibly similar to last year's selling hints. Unfortunately Gerry won't make it this year, but I remember what he said, so we can tie that in, as well.

OR anything related to pen turning, with purchased acrylic and homemade resins.

low_48

Thanks Ed, you have always been a demonstrator and I appreciate the offer. Would there be enough to talk about with a subject like future trends in penturning? I know that is crystal ball stuff, just thinking out loud. Did you do a talk on choosing pen kits a couple years ago? With so many kits on the market, I still see new guys defaulting to slim lines. Just too confusing, or just price oriented? Maybe you could add something about current trends since you know which pens kits sell by volume. I may need you to do two short demos if I don't get more volunteers. It's early yet, I'm still hopeful.

low_48

As you come up with demo ideas of what others want to see, keep me in mind. I'm willing to help if there's something you think I have to offer. I have some experience in waterslide decals and stamps under ca finishes, mold making, custom finials, but I'm up for any ideas.

John,
You set the bar pretty high last year with a great demo using multimedia. A first for us! We'll expect something like video with show tunes this year! I'll pencil you in, we'll agree on a subject soon. Thanks a bunch!

brownsfn2

Does anyone know how to do Kitless? I could really use a demo of that. I have only tried once but screwed it up. I would love to see someone who knows how.

low_48

Thanks Kenny. Maybe I won't be worrying so much about demonstrators this year. The response has been encouraging. Just a few more to go!

low_48

Ron,
Chris (thewishman) will be doing one on threading. So maybe a part of what you would like to see.
Can anyone help by doing a demo with this request?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If Curtis is not going to make it, I could do wood stabilizing.
(Curtis knows far more than I, so if he is coming, he's the man!!)

low_48

If Curtis is not going to make it, I could do wood stabilizing.
(Curtis knows far more than I, so if he is coming, he's the man!!)

We've had stabilizing two years in a row. Curtis two years ago, Terry last year. Thought we would skip it this year. But if we get a demand, we could do a short demo on it. Based on what the questions I read about blank making, I think more casting demos or specialty blank making would be more popular.

I think that specialty pens would make good demos. Pens with a theme, special casting or construction details, or special modifications to kits would be on my list.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Rich:

Any tentative time line for FRIDAY yet? I will be bring a van and some Ohio hitchhikers and was wondering when we should try to get to the Hall?

I have some catnip, so herding these cats will be easier.:cat::cat::cat:

I remember Friday PM was more of a meet-n-greet and show some pens. Same, or are their formal demos on Friday?

Thanks for heading this!

Mark

low_48

We have the hall for all day on Friday and Saturday. I'm planning on vendors starting setup in the morning, finish setup the room, and something formal on Friday afternoon. I was thinking about having a few demonstrators turn from start to finish. Instead of a specific subject, the group gets to see how someone else turns a pen. Tools used, how they sand, TBC or mandrel, the whole deal. Kind of a combo demo/show and tell. The demonstrator would bring his own blanks, glued and trimmed. Either a Jet 1642 or vs 1014 will be available to work on. That way as people start arriving and stopping by, they won't have missed a specific subject demo, they will have just missed someone else's techniques. What do you think? Any volunteers? Also, maybe not all pens. I will likely do a necklace pendant demo. So just 1/2 to 1 hour "watch and learn a project made" demo all afternoon. If we get enough volunteers, we'll likely run them from 1:00 to 5:00.

Top Bottom