Most expensive display yet!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doghouse

I started to build this display stand and the router decided it was time to release the factory installed smoke! Halfway through the 3rd cut the motor slowed down and FIRE! Had to run to Lowes to get a new one. All they had over 1 hp was 1617EVSPK so I ended up with that. GRRRRRRRRRR:(
20059131309_Stand1.jpg

200591313132_Stand.jpg

The display stand is all natural cherry with black epoxy fill and brass #8 screws.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Nice looking stand. Sorry to hear about the router.
I'm going to have to go out on a limb here and ask what could be taken as a "Stupid" question,
What are the items on your wonderful stand?

Have you noticed that the warranty expires before something bad happens. I like the "factory installed smoke" Great looing display rack. DO you sell many perfume pens?

Doghouse

No, I am still upset about it. There are many things I could have spent that money on.

The turnings are perfume atomizers.
Crotch walnut, curley maple, walnut burl, curley maple
Cherry, purpleheart, walnut, purpleheart.

Woodnknots

John, please tell me those aren't screws holding those beautiful pieces of cherry together!!!
I do like the way the died epoxy sets off the cherry. I can't wait to see what it does to my mom's jewelry box top.
Nice job!

Doghouse

Dave at 11:30 at night, I finally had all the pieces cut and sanded. I was exhausted and needed to finish the stand. So I used Brass Screws. I like the accent they give. As the cherry ages and darkens it will have even a stronger accent.

On a side note, Ed made a great suggestion to me offline that I should have used felt or dark fabric to set them off better.

Guess what Ed, you were right! The stand will become part of my display as the customer rejected it. He wants it lined with velvet. This will require adding a cover and a completely different design. Good think I have plenty of scrap cherry and walnut to play with...
[:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John,

Sorry the customer rejected (honest, I didn't call them!!!)

As long as they want velvet, the wood is no longer an issue. Poplar or pine that is painted (yes, they still make paint penturners!!!) black will make a nice display and, oh yea, cheap!!!

I have seen other pen displays that take the purchased "leatherette" displays with the grey interior and "class them up" by laying a piece of acrylic over the pens. The acrylic is custom cut to just fit the opening. Sounds hokey, but it really looked good and kept fingers off the pens.

Might try to adapt this idea. If you can make it "laying down" with about a 20 degree incline, that would be nice. If you are limited to a 6 inch deep shelf that this will fit on, it has to be vertical (or nearly so). Your dimensions become more critical to keep it from tipping over. Customers are not smart when they reach to "grab" things and, if it falls, it will unfailingly hit the most expensive thing in the display case and break that item!!! (Have I mentioned, my other half displays glass!!)

John, you clearly have a "good eye" for displays, so I leave the details in your competent hands. And, if the end product looks good to me, I will call the customer and tell them to accept this one. [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0] (See signature line)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom