Mixing Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

What do you use to mix epoxy on? This might help. The piece of cardboard the laundry puts in your shirt does a great job. I cut it into four pieces and that size is perfect for me. My local laundry gave me fifty pieces no charge. That's 200 pieces to mix on. No earth shaking news, just a little hint I thought might be helpful.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a small piece of melamine that I have mixed lots of epoxy on. I wipe it down when done with acetone and good for next time. I use a good amount of epoxy for my projects in the shop.:)

magpens

I use the flexible plastic end cap from a "can" of Pringles. . When the leftover epoxy dries it can easily be peeled off. . The plastic material might be polyethylene ... I don't know and I guess it doesn't matter. . I collect these end caps now, much to my wife's dismay.

magpens

Oh ... is polyethylene harmful to our health ? .. I know coffee is !! :biggrin::)

Rtibbs

Left over from my model aircraft building days I built this for mixing epoxy. I use a cash register tape to mix on, tear it off when finished and another is ready to mix.
(Yes you can still buy paper register tapes) :biggrin:

Attachments

• Epoxy Mixing.jpg
    Epoxy Mixing.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 136

MRDucks2

I typically only mix enough for 1 to 3 pens at a time. I use the lids off plastic soda bottles. The ones with with a flat bottom on the inside work best. I can typically mix and use 3 batches before throwing the cap in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MTViper

I use 6" paper saucers. Take 25-30 out at a time, pour the epoxy on a spot, mix it with a 4d finishing nail and rotate the plate for the next pour. I get 5-6 pours per plate then toss the plate.

Woodchipper

Lid from oatmeal or Pringles tubes. After you use them, let the epoxy harden and peel it off. Clean with acetone and use again.

I use the measuring cups like they give you medicine in. If I don't use all the epoxy I'll find something to put in it (like a bug, dead of course, or something unusual) I let the epoxy sit overnight and in the morning very carefully squeeze the edges of the plastic cup. The hardened epoxy drops out with whatever I put in it. You wouldn't believe the questions I get from people when they see the epoxied bugs on the windowsill of my shop. My wife and daughter think I'm a bit crazy, but who cares, I have a bug collection that will last forever. And you can reuse the cup a couple more times.

Last edited:

Miss Lucinder

Try the lid from a large coffee can. Extra epoxy will peel off after getting hard.. clean with fingernail polish remover.

Miss Lucinder

Aces-High

I have a piece of UHMWP screwed to my work bench that I do all my segmenting and mixing on. Nothing sticks to it. Just slide a flat razor across it and everything pops off.

moke

My wife is a nurse and I asked her to get the email address for a pill cup supplier, but one day she came home with a 1,000 condiment cups from Sam's, they are very close to the same size.....I guess I'm good for a while!

Last edited:

MRDucks2

You just did, Brian! I stir with pieces of bamboo skewer cut to about 2.5-3 inches from a $1 bag of skewers from the grocery store. (You end up with hundreds of them that way) I keep some of them for stirring/applying epoxy and my wife uses some of them for mounting finger nail art samples on. I get 3-4 uses per stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

gtriever

I use these, since I already had a bunch for edge gluing. I sand the end of the handle to a point to push the last little bit of the tube in to the proper depth:

glue spreaders.jpg

Rtibbs

Keeping the epoxy thread alive

How do you store your epoxy?
If you store your containers upright, as your contents level goes down it takes longer for the epoxy to come out of the container.

Lay them on their side and they roll off the bench.

I know it's anal on my part but, I offer the following:

As long as you keep the caps on you're good to go. :biggrin:

Attachments

• epoxy holders.jpg
    epoxy holders.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 112

TonyL

I use that Sili silicone material or any of the plastic pen kit bags (not the best idea, but I am happy with it.)

Top Bottom