Missing chuck jaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Yesterday I was using a Nova G3 chuck which I had purchases used. It had a slight bind and disassembled it to work out the bind. I put in on the spindle and turned on the power at 3950 rpm. There was a flash of light and a huge explosion. The jaws came out of the chuck. After gathering my wits I went looking for the missing jaws. I found all but one. After sweeping and crawling around on the floor I finally gave up. While sitting at the lathe and contemplating my next move I noticed a hole in the wall behind the lathe. Now I know where jaw is. I will try to fish it out with some rare earth magnets other wise I will have to remove some 5/8" drywall. The reason soon became obvious. When replacing the snap ring I had not seated it all the way allowing the scroll to back off the jaws and send them flying. I have worked on scroll chucks for 30 years and then finally a stupid mistake. I am forever grateful my head was not two inches closer to the head stock. However all is well.

Attachments

• 20160323_093614.jpg
    20160323_093614.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20160323_093742-1.jpg
    20160323_093742-1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 20160323_093756.jpg
    20160323_093756.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20160323_093824.jpg
    20160323_093824.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

Glad to hear you are ok and hope you do not have to tear out the drywall. I had a burl bowl explode on me the other day did not find all the pieces either but there is a nice dent in my brand new Jet air filter. Glad I was not in direct line of that hunk.

duncsuss

Like the other folks have said -- glad you weren't in the line of fire.

The first thing that I noticed was the speed you were running the lathe -- even with a properly assembled chuck, 3950rpm is high IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can see in the Nova manual, they really don't expect chucks to be spinning that fast.

Rockytime

Like the other folks have said -- glad you weren't in the line of fire.

The first thing that I noticed was the speed you were running the lathe -- even with a properly assembled chuck, 3950rpm is high IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I can see in the Nova manual, they really don't expect chucks to be spinning that fast.

Guess I was running it like I stole it like my tryke. What I mean is I didn't steal the tryke. I just like to ride it fast. :) I usually run that fast once the blank is rounded especially on small diameters.

You may be correct, I still have the manuals.

wyone

Glad to hear you are OK... and yes, it is times like this that remind us how quickly things happen in woodworking, and especially with woodturning. This lesson may not have been yours to learn, but those of us who have read the story. I know I learn a lot from what others post. :) Again, glad you are OK

Jim Smith

WOW! You were very lucky indeed. I had a similar near miss when I was a young man and I was working at a small sawmill. The owner/sawyer was not always sober when he was working. The circular saw blade was about 4 feet in diameter and had replaceable carbide teeth that locked in place with an Allen set screw. On this day, the sawyer pulled the carriage too close to the saw blade, so when he advanced the carriage, he drove it right into one of the steel railroad rails that were used to hold the logs. Where I was working, I was right in line with the saw blade. When the saw hit the steel railroad rail, there was a very loud bang as about 20 of the carbide teeth exploded out of the saw blade like bullets. It was over before I even knew anything was going to happen. I literally looked down at my legs and patted down my body to see if I had been hit by any of the teeth. When I didn't find any bloody spots, I turned around and to see about 15-20 one inch holes blasted through the 1x10 pine boards where the teeth had shot through them like bullets. The holes were just above and on both sides of where I was standing. I guess it wasn't my turn. As the saying goes, God takes care of fools, drunks and children and I wasn't a kid anymore and I don't drink so I figured out where I fell into that equation. I'm sure glad you were lucky as well and I'm glad that you were able to recover the missed chuck jaw.

Last edited:
Things happening like this is why I always step around the lathe so the head stock is between me and the spindle end (and put my face shield on) when I first turn it on... after it has come up to speed, then I move around in front of the lathe.... I've had a few bowls and pieces come off the lathe, so I'm cautious. (gun shy?)

Top Bottom