Missalignments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gwatson50

I struggled with this pen for hours trying to get a simplistic Gisi segmentation cut in. It looked pretty well aligned in the square blank but as it turned, and you can see the "V's" came apart. I also have trouble aligning the bottom tube with the upper tube... it's aligned before the press but somehow changes when it is pressed. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? George

bb35de1b00fd39afcbb48e4468a583cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I guess I'm not following you on this one George. It seems to me, all you have to do is pull the top barrel off and put it back on with the points of the arrows aligned. What am I missing here?

jttheclockman

I think you are over thinking this. As Derek said just take the top cap off and realign anywhere you want. The thing with kits like that though there is play in the tranny and one time they are aligned and the next time they are not. I try to avoid pens with segments that you try to line up the cap and body. But If i do then I use a more reliable kit that does not rely on the tranny for alignment. As far as angle seperating, I do not see it. When doing segments like this it is imperative to drill dead center of your design. Nice combo though. :)

magpens

Beautiful pen !!!! . Looks really good to my eye.

I like the use of laminated wood with colors that match other woods (i.e. the pink/red)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As far as a "Simplistic" Gisi Design - Your blank is by no means "simplistic"! You did an excellent job.

As has been mentioned above, the orientation alignment (top blank, bottom blank) is correctable. As to the "V" alignment, that is very difficult to match - and you did very well - But when things look aligned as a full blank, things often are not as accurate at "bushing" size. (I myself am working on this detail. At each stage, materials need to be square, straight, even thickness, etc...)

JT's comments about drilling is spot on, and all segmenters' need to work on this aspect.

I would be proud of that pen.

Charlie_W

Hi George! Great looking pen! I know it was a lot of work.

As I zoom the pic of your pen, I think I am seeing what you are referring to.
Looks like a miss alignment of the angled sections as well as small openings on the white looking material.
It appears you butted/lapped the white and mitered the red wood. If this is so, I would suggest gluing the white with the red sandwiched in between. Glue these together as a unit, then miter and glue to the angles on the blank as segmented units.
A clamping jig sized for the blank will help hold things together while gluing.
Some cutting board material (waxed) will make a good clamping mold.
Provide for clamping the whole unit together and endwise. Using screws to hold the device together will allow easier break down to get the blank out.

Drilling....did you use a center bit to start the drilling? Drill on the lathe? Sharp bit? I know it seems backwards but you may try drilling from the end closest to the mitered segments. Less chance of the bit wandering....or drill from both ends.

As others say, everything needs to be right on the money for best results. There are many things that can vary with this pen blank type. Analyze each step and see if there are any steps which can be refined or done in a consistent manner.

Hope this helps!......still, you have a wonderful pen!

Dale Allen

Very nice pen George. Well thought out and the colors are wildly fantastic.
Make some more and enjoy. Like my coworker tells me, one is not a good sample quantity.
Also, on the alignment. Sometimes the hardware pieces are made to slightly fit inside one another on these and I have in the past aligned the 2 halves only to find the two pieces screw together just a little bit past what I planned on. It looks like yours went just about an eighth of a turn past where it should be. If you can take it apart and back it off that much before pressing in the hardware, it may line up better.

Top Bottom