Mini Square

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I had a few guys want one of these.
It's a small center square that's held between the first and second fingers. It is ambidextrous and has 1/16" graduation marks.
I'm not sure, but it should work for marking pen blanks.

I thought I would show something I actually took from concept to finished product. I will be making these this week.

ZsZ3BCw.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Make double sided .... put a much wider 120 degree angle on the reverse for use with odd sided items that aren't evenly cut into pen blank shapes.? :)

magpens

Make double sided .... put a much wider 120 degree angle on the reverse for use with odd sided items that aren't evenly cut into pen blank shapes.? :)

Uhhh ... no ! . I wouldn't do that. . I use a 90 degree square even on odd-shaped blanks and scribe a line from each of the 4 corners ... at the crossing point (or in the middle of the small geometrical shape at the crossing point) I poke in a spring-loaded center punch. . Works for me.

Now, with regard to that diagram, there is a portion half-filling the angled cutout ... I don't understand what that is ... can you please explain ?

Last edited:

Rolandranch

Uhhh ... no ! . I wouldn't do that. . I use a 90 degree square even on odd-shaped blanks and scribe a line from each of the 4 corners ... at the crossing point (or in the middle of the small geometrical shape at the crossing point) I poke in a spring-loaded center punch. . Works for me.

Now, with regard to that diagram, there is a portion half-filling the angled cutout ... I don't understand what that is ... can you please explain ?
It's for drawing an "X" on the end of your pen blanks. The "filled" portion makes a straight edge to draw lines. Hope that helps.

magpens

Oh, yes, of course ! . Thank you, Seth !! . I did know that too because I use a similar device nearly everyday !!:redface: (just as I described !)

It's for drawing an "X" on the end of your pen blanks. The "filled" portion makes a straight edge to draw lines. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned

There would be no benefit to a 120 degree angle. With 120 degrees, it wouldn't work as intended with smaller objects. This will work with square, round and odd ball pieces. It is intended to mark the center line.
It is also a mini size for smaller objects, but it could be made larger for bigger stuff.

It also wasn't designed specifically for pen blanks, but it would work fine for that purpose.

Seth is correct.
The portion isn't completely filled in, it's only half the thickness of the rest of the jig. It is aligned to the center and has the lip to lock it to the object to be marked. With the combination of the lip and the two finger holes, it is easy to hold while marking the center line.

I will post a photo once I have some extra cut, to better illustrate how it's used.

Top Bottom